Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
2 3 4 5 6 7
Thread: First CFW released for PS3
Harrison 11:54 31st January 2011
There was a new version of the official PS3 firmware released by Sony over the weekend, called version 3.56.

This release is needed to access the PS Store and to log into the PSN network for online play. Anyone still using 3.55 will not be able to go online or access to the PSN network at all.

It is said that Sony were working on this ever since it was known that hackers had broken the FW and released a CFW that worked. Sony also took the measure of placing a restraining order on the person presonsible for cracking the PS3 firmware's security codes, so the updated version wouldn't also be hacked in the same way. Sadly for Sony this didn't help at all because within the first hour after release it was announced that it had been cracked (some reports within 10 minutes), and by a completely different known hacker in the scene.

Hiowever, whilst it has been cracked, there isn't yet a new 3.56 version CFW, so if you want to continue running homebrew and backups you will need to stay using a 3.55 CFW, and lose the ability to access to PS store or go online. If you do update to the official 3.56 release as it will stop you playing backups and homebrew and you can't downgrade back to 3.55 (at the moment).

I'm sure a 3.56 CFW will be here very soon.
[Reply]
Harrison 16:10 31st January 2011
Also... word of warning. There seem to be a lot of fake CFW for 3.56 floating around at the moment. Some even have instructions to force brick your console (remove power during the FW update). That will most likely brick the PS3 and kill it so never try that. Wait until someone confirms a real CFW for 3.56 and a few known people in the scene have tested it. I'm sure one will be alone soon considering a 3.56 JB now exists.
[Reply]
Harrison 01:07 2nd February 2011
For those of you running a 3.55 CFW on your PS3's and now locked out of logging into your PSN accounts online, someone has just released a new proxy server bypass to allow your CFW to log in and go online again. It spoofs the correct FW version number to the Sony servers to allow you to log in and access them without the need for the older DNS tricks.

Its called "Simple PS3 Proxy - PSN Firmware Version Bypass"

ps3fail.jpg

You run this proxy on your PC and link the PS3 to it. Many are reporting it working perfectly already.

Full announcement:

Originally Posted by :
Today Hideki has released what he calls Simple PS3 Proxy, a PSN Firmware version bypass application which functions similar to the other PSN bypass methods.

Download: Simple PS3 Proxy

From the ReadMe file: Set on your PS3 a web proxy of (PC IP) port 8080

IE: if the machine you are to be running this proxy on is 192.168.0.12 then put that as the IP and 8080 as the port in the PS3 network configuration for your web proxy.

If 3.56 is still current, just run the app and click start. If 3.60 or later is now out, change the 3.5600 value in required PS3 version to 3.6000 or similar.

As long as the PS3 is correctly configured and this app is running, you will be signed in. This is licensed under version 2 of the GNU public licence, see license.txt for details. Source code is included in the archive in /src

This software may not be sold, this software may not be bundled with things being sold, this software (or any derivative works) may not be distributed without the license and its source.

Please do not cheat in online games, it makes you a lamer and aggravates Sony. Hi to the people of #Amiga, #Atheism, #Pharyngula, #PSGroove etc.

[Hideki] - hideki.adam @ gmail.com - 31 Jan 2011

Possible errors

On PC:

If you get an error about mswinsck.ocx being missing, either run the proxy app as administrator or copy the included .ocx file (in \ocx) to \windows\system32. (or if you prefer, download and install the microsoft VB6 runtimes which include this required file but also a large number of other not required files...)

MS VB6 Runtime KB article link: VBRun60sp6.exe installs Visual Basic 6.0 SP6 run-time files

On PS3:

Error 8071053D - You are not running the proxy or the IP/Port are wrong.

Update request - You have not setup the proxy on PS3 side or Sony have worked around this workaround.

Stay tuned for more PS3 Hacks news. Also be sure to drop by the PS3 Hacks Forum for updates!
Download: Simple PS3 Proxy

Source of article: http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/simple-ps3-proxy-psn-firmware-version-bypass-released-79417/
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 04:06 2nd February 2011
I might try that out, because yesterday I was installing a PSN game, and after the update it wanted me to go to the PSN store to validate the license again, otherwise I wouldn't be able to play the game. Although I got it running after removing the update again, but at least this is worth a try.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 14:05 2nd February 2011
I just read this:

Originally Posted by :
PS3 Firmware 3.56 Includes a “Rootkit”

Reports around the globe seem to indicate that Sony is up to no good… The pros have dug deep, dissecting firmware 3.56 to the fullest, and what they found may surprise you… Then again it’s Sony, so maybe you won’t be surprised at all. Allegedly Sony has included their own “rootkit” so to speak, which allows them to execute remote code upon login. What code exactly? Well that can range from verifying system files, detecting custom firmware to searching for any installed homebrew. And the executed code can change at anytime — without a firmware update — Sony controls it all on their end.

[Reply]
Harrison 14:11 2nd February 2011
I predict a riot!... or a court case at the very least! Definitely not legal in many countries as this is spyware. Sony should be well aware of such behaviour after previous events surrounding them, but then Sony is a large corporate company and they do often forget they are not above the law.

Will be interesting to see the outcome of this new finding.
[Reply]
Tiago 21:02 7th February 2011
Just to say:

I GOT AMIGA EMULATION IN PS3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
uhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu !!!!!!!!!

IT'S WORKING !!!!!
[Reply]
Harrison 00:10 8th February 2011
How well is it working?
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 11:31 8th February 2011
I saw yesterday that they released a homebrew version of UAE, didn't try it yet though (don't think I will try it anyway).
[Reply]
Tiago 12:06 8th February 2011
well,

i could only work with kickrom 1.2 and 1.3, no other worked.
i was able to play
ik+
captain blood
carrier command
and load workbench 1.3 !!

but you dont have the options you have in winuae, just sme really basic settings. I dont saw anything related to memory or cpu.
but it's a first version, it's just a question of days till you have a better version.

But still very nice software
[Reply]
Tags:Array
2 3 4 5 6 7
Up