Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Post counts
Stephen Coates 16:14 10th October 2010
When I first joined the forum, in 2003, I saw the list of rankings and how many posts you would need to achieve them.

If memory serves, Elite was 500 posts, and I thought it would take anyone forever to reach that quantity. However, I managed it eventually after nearly two years.

I notice on the new forum, after about 4 years, that I have less than 2000, and harrison only has around 10000 posts.

That is quite a lot of posts by my year 2003 standards.

But on some forums I have used over the last couple of years, some people have thousands of posts just after a few months, and well in excess of 10000 after a year or so .

How do they manage it?
[Reply]
Harrison 15:44 11th October 2010
It they are moderators or other staff on a site then it is easy to build up quite a high post count fairly quickly. On Amibay for example my post count is 4136 after about 2 years of the site running.

However, I do also notice some regular members who just have rediculous post counts. Again on Amibay, the member Kin Kell has amassed 7285 posts so far and is the highest poster on the site, with mostly staff members following up behind some way off. Not sure how such people can get their posts counts so high, but they seem to be the type of people that camp out on the sites and always seem to be logged in whatever time of day you visit.

I think such people just can't have a life outside of the sites they frequent.
[Reply]
J T 09:40 12th October 2010
I think a lot of forum users also just post any old crap, with no thought towards relevance or whether it would actual be worth someone else's time to read.

Also, a lot of forum threads can become quite conversational I suppose.
[Reply]
Submeg 12:19 12th October 2010
When they become conversational, it makes it difficult for new people to the thread to find the information they are looking for...but usually the convos stay on topic...

I find lots of people post one word responses...

lol
omg
haha!

There's three posts in the matter of 2 seconds....
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 12:40 12th October 2010
Originally Posted by Submeg:
I find lots of people post one word responses...

lol
omg
haha!

There's three posts in the matter of 2 seconds....
Well, it can be good to find out who finds something funny etc.

I was once on a forum who installed a 'thanks' things which allows you to press a button to say thanks for a post. The reason for this was 'to avoid spam posts saying nothing but 'thanks''.
[Reply]
Harrison 14:46 12th October 2010
Yeah, you can get a few different thank you mods for vBulletin. I personally hate them as they create a huge list of members in thank you lists between each post within the thread. Looks horrible and makes it really hard to navigate a conversation. Good I suppose for development or support threads.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 18:10 12th October 2010
Something which annoys me is when you get people posting to complain that the previous post was off topic.

[Reply]
Jay 20:13 12th October 2010
Found this amusing (and relevant) so thought I'd share with the group..

How many forum members does it take to change a lightbulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

1 to move it to the Lighting section

2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section

7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

5 to flame the spell checkers

3 to correct spelling/grammar flames

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct

19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum

11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum

36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty

7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"

17 to say they have the best brand lightbulb and accuse the rest of being fanboys

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 23:58 12th October 2010
Originally Posted by Jay:
Found this amusing (and relevant) so thought I'd share with the group..

How many forum members does it take to change a lightbulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

1 to move it to the Lighting section

2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section

7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

5 to flame the spell checkers

3 to correct spelling/grammar flames

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct

19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum

11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum

36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty

7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"

17 to say they have the best brand lightbulb and accuse the rest of being fanboys

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.
I think we have here, a forum member who hasn't searched properly . http://oldforum.classicamiga.com/ind...showtopic=1561.

And to whoever came up with that in the first place, as we are referring to a plural, it is URLs, and not URL's .
[Reply]
J T 00:47 13th October 2010
And there i was, about to reply with a simple 'lol'.

History repeating itself, eh?
[Reply]
1 2
Up