Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Virus issues.
Stephen Coates 15:30 10th October 2010
Has anyone here had any issues with a 'virus' called 'Antivirus 2010'?

My Dad's computer seems to have this. It was causing the requester shown in the screenshot. Of course, it was 'imideatly' obvious to me that it was not caused by Windows or the McAffee antivirus which came with the computer back in 2005.

secalert.jpg

I uninstalled it using the 'Add/remove' programmes control panel, but I'm not sure if that got rid of it. When using the old version of Firefox 1.x which I installed years ago, some links on the Google search page went to other pages, and the system doesn't log off/shutdown (or at least, it doesn't for me). These issues could be caused by other things though.

I also removed the old McAffee and installed Avast, but Avast refuses to do anything, as shown in the screenshot. Not sure why.

avast2.jpg

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas. Next time I go I will run Malwarebytes and see if that does anything.

This was slightly concerning as my Dad almost lost several thousand pounds through online banking fraud. Fortunately he checked the account on the date the transaction was made and canceled it, so he didn't loose anything.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up