Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Poll: Do you still use floppy drives?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Do you still use floppy drives?
  • View Poll Results

Thread: Floppy drives...
    Harrison 13:58 24th September 2010
    Do any of you still have a floppy drive installed in your main PC/computer?

Until recently I was still including a floppy drive in my systems because the motherboards still have the ports and I had spare drives, so I thought I might as well. But then I tried to think when I actually ever used the drive and within the last 2 years and I think it must have been about 4 times. Other than that it has just sat there, and as the connectors are still the horrible old ribbon type and a floppy power connector is needed I decided to get rid of it from my main system and disable the port in the BIOS.

So my main PC is now completely rid of any old ribbon cables or molex connectors. As it has a modular PSU all the cables it now needs installed (in addition to the 24 pin motherboard and 8 pin PSU cables) are 2 SATA cables and a PCI-E cable. It looks so neat and tidy in there!

I am however not abandoning floppy drives completely. In my emulation PC I've left one installed as it is useful for transferring downloaded Amiga files, or converting Atari ST disk images back to disk. But other than for retro stuff I don't see me using floppy disks again. I think for current use the floppy drive and disk is dead.
    [Reply]
    Tags:Array
    Up