Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
5 6 7 8 9 10
Thread: What are your favourite Amiga games of all time?
Buleste 13:37 2nd June 2008
Didn't know about it but it wouldn't change my opinion about the game. Appartently there was a sequel done on PC and PS1 and there have been several remakes along with Sentinal Redux which is in the pipeline. Geoff Crammond should have stuck to racing games.
[Reply]
Harrison 14:15 2nd June 2008
Very true. I want him to be working on Grand Prix 5, not some remake of a surreal 8-bit classic.

BTW, regarding F1, I read that Codemasters have now obtained the license for an F1 game. And with their TOCA Racer driver series, especially the latest GRID, and the Colin McRae games, especially Dirt, I think they could create a great F1 game.
[Reply]
Buleste 14:24 2nd June 2008
Well Codemasters do own the team behind Sega Rally so whatever they do is going to be good.
[Reply]
Cammy 08:21 6th June 2008
It'll be tough choosing my favourite Amiga games of all-time but I'll list some that I keep going back to play.

Superfrog
Marvin's Marvellous Adventure
Lionheart
Xtreme Racing
Turrican 3
The Chaos Engine
Rodland
Alien Breed: Tower Assault
Disposable Hero
Agony
It Came From The Desert
Flight of the Amazon Queen

There are so many more, but I have a lot of fun playing those ones.
[Reply]
Harrison 12:55 6th June 2008
We are all in the same situation. So many to choose from that it is hard to select just a few as the best.

BTW, if you haven't looked yet, we are currently running a top 100 Amiga games of all time project on the forum. Have a look in the Amiga/Games section of the forum and there is a subforum in there for it. We have so far all submitted a top 100 list of our own personal favourite games, which was stage 1. I'm not compiling this list into a complete list of all of the games submitted. Then the second stage will be for all members to select their top 100 from this list. Once that is complete the final third stage will be to vote on the final top 100 list to get them into the final order of the official classicamiga top 100 Amiga games.
[Reply]
DeepBlueSea 20:46 13th September 2008
I´m wondering which one was released first: Dungeon Master or Bloodwych?

Greets
DBS
[Reply]
Buleste 21:27 13th September 2008
If you check on our main site we have Dungeon Master released in 1988 and Bloodwych in 1989. Here.
[Reply]
Cortona 16:10 14th September 2008
I remember Dungeon Master being out on the Atari ST for quite a while before it came to the Amiga, which is probably the best thing you could say about the ST! (Oooh, still bitter after all these years.)

I think my favourite game has to be Gods. That said, I also spent a hell of a long time playing Faerie Tale Adventure, getting nowhere, and ...Deserts I and II. But Gods wins overall. Just the best, most atmospheric, arse-kickingest Amiga game. Even works on a 1200, although the music goes to c*ck a bit.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:54 15th September 2008
Using the WHDLoad installer for Gods it works perfectly, including music, on an A1200.

Dungeon Master was indeed released on the ST quite some time before the Amiga version, and the ST version was actually better! And I actually played it and completed it on an ST, and not an Amiga! (closet ST user before an Amiga owner!).

Another game that was also better on the ST than the Amiga was Captain Blood. I mentioned this in another thread. Madly the audio was a lot better. The Jean Michelle Jarre Soundtrack used clearer samples, and the alien speech when you have conversations on planets is completely missing from the Amiga version. Very strange considering the Amiga should have been able to improve on the ST version, not make it worse. Bodged conversion if ever there was one.
[Reply]
Cortona 21:16 15th September 2008
Yes, there were some shockingly bad conversions, in the early days especially. Developers would release a game for the ST and port it straight over to Amiga without improving it whatsoever. Of course now I can't think of any examples! Leathernecks, Karate Kid, Garrison... I'm sure there were many 16-colour, gnat-farts-for-sound-effects releases, you'll have to help me out here, chaps.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
5 6 7 8 9 10
Up