Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Thread: What are your favourite Amiga games of all time?
AlexJ 22:46 2nd August 2007
Settlers was great - never got into it's sequels but the original was just the type of strategy game I like. With most of them I spend ages building up my empire and then crush the enemy with the first attack. With Settlers you had to spend ages building it up, and then the fights weren't over in a flash but took time to do. I still to this day don't understand how exactly they worked though.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 23:17 2nd August 2007
Settlers also had a different kind of gameplay as we were used to have. I preferred Populous or Mega Lo Mania though.
[Reply]
Harrison 00:01 3rd August 2007
Originally Posted by AlexJ:
With Settlers you had to spend ages building it up, and then the fights weren't over in a flash but took time to do. I still to this day don't understand how exactly they worked though.
I wasn't alone then. I also couldn't quite work out the fight system. I know you had to make sure your Knights had a good supply of gold going to their outposts, which was meant to boost their moral and make them better in a fight, but the actual fight results still seemed a bit random in my view. It was always great seeing the little knights leave their building, draw their sword and march into battle.
[Reply]
J T 15:02 6th August 2007
Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner:
Settlers also had a different kind of gameplay as we were used to have. I preferred Populous or Mega Lo Mania though.
Mega-Lo-Mania was a lot of fun, I enjoyed it a lot. The Sensi humour was very evident here, and it was a good game as well - simple enough, but with a decent amount of depth to make you go back and play some more. Much like Alex mentions, though, I used to spend time making a big army to flatten the enemy in one go rather than lots of little skirmishes. Didn't always work, mind.
[Reply]
Sharingan 17:28 6th August 2007
The battle system in Settlers has always been a mystery to me. I once lost 6 or 7 knights in a row, to the same defender. WTF.

And Mega-lo-Mania ... ah, such fond memories I have of that game. It's a shame that no more games like that are made anymore - simple in concept, but fiendishly addictive all the same. My tactic has always been amassing huge armies as well, and then flattening the opponents in one big sweep.

I wouldn't be surprised if George W. Bush played Mega-lo-Mania when he was a kid. It would explain why the guy's so paranoid. Why else would he be so afraid of the Iranians and North Koreans? That's right, they're secretly developing Flying Saucers as we speak
[Reply]
toomanymikes 20:58 6th August 2007
List as follows in no particular order:

Speedball 2
x out
agony
project x
alien breed 2
shadow of the beast 1 & 2
another world
hunter
desert strike
chase hq
cannon fodder
superfrog
james pond
stardust
gods
first samurai
populous 2

My all time fave has to be turrican 2 - i saw this at a friends house and sold my Nes the week after so i could get an Amiga. Graphics, music and gameplay were out of this world.

Wow - nostalgia overload!
[Reply]
Submeg 21:56 6th August 2007
Some nice games you listed there
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 05:16 7th August 2007
Originally Posted by :
i saw this at a friends house and sold my Nes the week after so i could get an Amiga.
That's what I call enthusiasm, excitement and fascination.
[Reply]
Harrison 09:34 7th August 2007
That just shows how impressive the Amiga was at the time compared to everything else on offer. And is one of the main reasons why it has remained a favourite system for many people, even after so many years.

The same cannot be said of today's systems. They may all have impressive specs and be able to generate amazing visuals but they are very closely matched. The PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 can all generate near to identical end results so we don't really have any one innovative system leading the currently marketplace and able to push the boundaries of what is possible much further than the others.

Part of the magic for me in the earlier gaming generations was the large differences that could appear between systems within a single generation, often ending up with a single platform more powerful than the others, but with developers of the lessor systems still trying to push them to aspire to the best on offer.
[Reply]
J T 09:39 7th August 2007
Originally Posted by Harrison:
we don't really have any one innovative system leading the currently marketplace and able to push the boundaries of what is possible much further than the others.
*whispers* That'll be Nintendo, then.

Sorry, I couldn't resist a little poke, there.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Up