Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4
Thread: When did you last use a VCR?
Harrison 17:01 14th November 2007
I was just looking at the devices connected to my TV and suddenly realised I can't remember the last time I used my VHS VCR. I sometimes have to use the one at my girlfriends because she has no other method of recording anything, but I'm not sure when I last even played anything in mine.

Since Sky+ I've not needed one to record anything from the TV, and there is also the DVD recorder when needed too.

And I just tried to play a tape in the VCR and it got stuck! So now I remember why I stopped using them in the first place!

So when did you last use one, and do you even still own one?

I know Steve still uses his religiously, and I expect him to for years to come, complaining that the HD signals won't record in a few years time.
[Reply]
J T 17:03 14th November 2007
We have one under the telly, but I don't think it's actually connected.

I haven't used a VCR for probably 4 years.
[Reply]
Buleste 17:06 14th November 2007
Sunday to record "My Son Jack". No freeview signal in my area so cannot use DVR and most the things i want to record i only want to watch once so no point having a dvd recorder.
[Reply]
Sharingan 17:27 14th November 2007
I actually still have three connected VCRs in the house ... but they're all DVD/VCR combos. I think that as long as you mainly use Standard Definition TVs, VHS tapes are still decent quality.

The last time I watched a tape was only two weeks ago - for some strange reason, I felt like seeing Armageddon again.
[Reply]
Harrison 17:44 14th November 2007
I replaced pretty much ever pre-recorder film I had on VHS with DVD's soon after the format took off, so I don't actually have that much still on VHS to watch. So I may even get rid of the VHS tapes and VCRs I still have... although... I do need to keep the SVHS edit decks in case a client ever throws some footage at me on the format.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 17:55 14th November 2007
I replaced my VCR when I bought my PS3, I needed the place, but not the VCR.
[Reply]
AlexJ 19:08 14th November 2007
I have one of those VCR<>DVD combi things, but only ever use the Video Deck when transferring stuff to DVD. Else in the unlikely event of there being more things to record than the PVR can handle, I record to DVD-RW.
[Reply]
Submeg 19:28 14th November 2007
Same as most here....have a DVD/VCR combo....but has the VCR ever been used? No.....

The only reason I have one in my room is because I need to use the AV channel as the tv is older than me and I cant plug my PS straight in!
[Reply]
Ghost 09:25 15th November 2007
Heh, anyone missing those 'good old days when we used to record movies ourselves'

But seriously, these last fifteen years we really have made some progress on data storage formats.
If you had told me all those years ago that we would be storing data like games and movies on CD (I probably would think that a DVD is a CD ROM too) I probably have not believed you.

Dammit, now you have activated the 'nostalgic' subroutine, I will be reminiscing (is that a word?) all day, thinking how happy I was at the time with stuff people now consider old and outdated.
[Reply]
Submeg 09:47 15th November 2007
Yea like NES games that you could never finish...
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4
Up