Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: Another example of the differences between the American and British Language.
Buleste 09:54 20th May 2010

For those that don't know "Twats" has been a British swear word for a long time. It's a milder version of the C-word.

P.S. I think all people who use Twitter are Twats!!
[Reply]
Harrison 11:04 20th May 2010
It's not just the fact there are differences between the butchered American version of English and the real one. It is the fact that 90% of American's all live in the big US of A bubble and don't know the world exists outside of their microcosm.

Americans are like children still learning how to speak and sometimes not getting words or meanings straight. At some point they surely must grow up?
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 14:24 20th May 2010
I don't see anything wrong with calling Twitter users 'twats' regardless of language.
[Reply]
Buleste 15:25 20th May 2010
There is nothing wrong with calling all Twitter users twats, because they are! However what I was pointing out was that Americans didn't know that twat was already a swear word.
[Reply]
Harrison 16:08 20th May 2010
Exactly. A naive people living in a bubble.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 16:11 20th May 2010
Did anyone here about when David Cameron said that 'too many twits[twitter users] make a twat' on the radio? And then had to issue an apology.
[Reply]
Harrison 16:24 20th May 2010
All PMs put their foot in their mouth from time to time; but at least he didn't call someone a "bigoted women", now did he?
[Reply]
outlawal2 16:25 20th May 2010
Originally Posted by Harrison:
It's not just the fact there are differences between the butchered American version of English and the real one. It is the fact that 90% of American's all live in the big US of A bubble and don't know the world exists outside of their microcosm.

Americans are like children still learning how to speak and sometimes not getting words or meanings straight. At some point they surely must grow up?
Hmmmmm.. A bit of a broad generalization don't you think? I am American and would pit my grasp as well as utilization of the English language against pretty much anyone...

We aren't ALL linguistic children my friend...
[Reply]
Harrison 16:39 20th May 2010
Not referring to the whole American population mate, just the 90% who don't have passports, don't have any geographical knowledge other than when they have been involved in invading a country somewhere, and couldn't say who their President is.

I know there are a few in the USA with some common sense.

The biggest thing that amazes me with any American's is that they expect you to know everything about where they come from, even the local game shows that are of no interest to anyone outside of the USA, but they have no clue about anything in the country they are currently visiting. And that is a fact for every American I've met, regardless of IQ. That is the bubble I refer to.

And before saying anything else. I fully admit that we have our fair share of idiots and twats in the UK too. But at least most of them know where France is!
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 17:43 20th May 2010
Originally Posted by Harrison:
All PMs put their foot in their mouth from time to time; but at least he didn't call someone a "bigoted women", now did he?
I don't see why everyone has to make such a fuss about it.

It wouldn't surprise me if he had said worse when there weren't any television cameras around.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up