Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5
Thread: Steve gets a job!
Stephen Coates 17:48 12th May 2010
Finally, the words you have all been waiting years for me to say.

The job is the one I mentioned in the jobcentreplus topic with Edexcel. It is likely to just involve sorting exam papers and scanning them into the computer etc.

It will just be for the month of June, 37.5 hours per week, 6am-2pm and quite reasonable pay.

I start on the first of June. The pay is monthly, which is something I am quite surprised about, as this means I won't be paid until half way through July and will now probably have to give up my benefits. I would have thought a job like this would be paid weekly.

But, the 12 hour per week minimum wage floor mopping job which I applied for a couple of months back was also monthly pay. But that was a permanent job.

Hopefully, this Edexcel job will be a bit more successful than my previous job at Marks & Spencers.
[Reply]
Phantom 18:02 12th May 2010
I wish you all the best in your new job m8.
[Reply]
Tiago 13:24 13th May 2010
Good luck for the job!
[Reply]
Puni/Void 14:02 13th May 2010
Good luck with the new job, Steve! Rock on!
[Reply]
Harrison 14:06 13th May 2010
Well done Steve. It's only a short term job, but it will get you some experience, and some money. All good for the CV.

Do you know what type of exams it will be dealing with? SATS, RSA, GCSE, A-Level?
[Reply]
1980-20.. 15:53 13th May 2010
Well done mate. But what did you do at marks, did you atack an old woman or something.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 17:06 13th May 2010
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Do you know what type of exams it will be dealing with? SATS, RSA, GCSE, A-Level?
There ought to be GCSEs and A-Levels, but I think Edexcel are doing the SATs this year, after last years fiasco. That is if there are any SATs papers to process. I doubt there will be as many this year as there ought to be.

RSA stuff is done by the Oxford, Cambridge and RSA group (OCR).

Originally Posted by :
But what did you do at marks, did you atack an old woman or something.
Nope, that's what the escalators are for. My Dad, who has worked at M&S for many years and used to be a First Aider, regularly told us about old women who had fallen down the escalator.

My M&S job was due to last 6 days over Christmas. On the first day, despite setting off a good hour earlier than I needed to, various public transport issues meant I couldn't get to Doncaster on time, so I call my grandparents to ask for a lift. They had trouble getting the car out of the drive and when we got to Doncaster we got stuck in traffic, so I ended up half an hour late.

One the second day, when i got back to Rotherham bus station, a bus I was going to get was cancelled due to snow and the other one (which I got on) was sliding about all over the place.

Third day went OK.

Forth day was Christmas Eve. There were to be no busses after the store closing time so I set off to go on my bike, but got a puncture 20 yards away from home. So I didn't make it in.

Fifth and Sixth days I just didn't want to take the risk and didn't bother going in .

Something M&S ought to consider doing, is putting a sign up on the first floor, directing people to the escalator and stairs. When I first went there a couple of years ago, I couldn't find it and almost ended up going the wrong way down the upstairs escalator. Fortunately I found the downstairs one at the other side of the building. In my three days at M&S, the question that customers most frequently asked me was 'How do I get downstairs?'.
[Reply]
Harrison 17:42 13th May 2010
You can imagine people stuck in there for months never able to escape.

Or at closing time. Message over the loud speakers, "To all customers on the first floor. The store will be closing in 10 minutes. A member of staff will be with you shortly to direct you to the exists of the store. Thank you for your patience and we hope you at least found the toilets!"

And you are right about the SATs. With so many schools boycotting them this year, there should be a lot less papers, which will at least mean they might stand a chance of being correctly marked this year!
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 17:50 13th May 2010
I remember someone did actually ask where the customer toilets are. They srn't too difficult to find though upstairs.
[Reply]
1980-20.. 23:33 13th May 2010
Originally Posted by Stephen Coates:
Nope, that's what the escalators are for. My Dad, who has worked at M&S for many years and used to be a First Aider, regularly told us about old women who had fallen down the escalator.
Yeah its the same where i work. If you aint good on yer pins there to be avoided.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5
Up