Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Two computers sharing a VGA monitor
Puni/Void 21:39 2nd May 2010
Hi guys,

I'm looking to connect two computers to the same VGA monitor. I presume I need some kind of split-cable to accomplish this.

The main computer is a SAM440EP with a DVI-port, but I have an adapter that makes it possible to hook it up to a VGA monitor. The other one is an Amiga 1200 with a VGA-connector from an IndivisionAGA card. I also have a laptop I might connect from time to time.

Is it possible to just use a split-cable for this or do I need some kind of switchbox? Would be great if you could help me out on this one.

Thanks in advance for your help.
[Reply]
AndyLandy 21:43 2nd May 2010
I suspect your best bet is a KVM switch, I don't know if a split-cable solution exists.
[Reply]
Puni/Void 21:44 2nd May 2010
Originally Posted by AndyLandy:
I suspect your best bet is a KVM switch, I don't know if a split-cable solution exists.
Thanks for the tip. Is there a significant difference in picture quality between the various models? I'm then thinking of pricing.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 04:49 3rd May 2010
I am also interested to know about picture quality in KVMs as I am interested in sharing a monitor/keyboard/mouse between an A1200 and a PC.
[Reply]
AndyLandy 07:47 3rd May 2010
Of the KVMs I've used, I've never noticed any particular issues with image quality. Given that VGA is an analogue signal, anything like a switchbox or a long cable is going to cause some signal degradation, but I doubt it'll be much.
[Reply]
Phantom 12:08 3rd May 2010
Andy is right. I use a Level One KVM switch for my peecee and Sam, and I never had any problems. I've used it also with my A4000.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up