Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Thread: Ready for a new PC
Demon Cleaner 16:10 24th April 2019
Ok, so in the end I almost completely changed my setup, and ordered the stuff, should arrive next week.

I ditched the AMD setup, as I was talking with some guys at PC Hardware, and they suggested that in my case I could also go with an Intel CPU, because it still has single core superiority, and has a good multi core performance, basically the better option.

Originally Posted by :
I really think you'll be good with a Ryzen 2700x system based on your use-case... But if you say money isn't a huge issue, the 9900k will somewhat offer you the best of both worlds in terms of single core and multi-threaded performance in general. 8 cores 16 threads is nothing to scoff at, and the higher IPC/clock speed on Intel does handily beat out Ryzen, but the cost difference is quite a lot..

Coming from the i5 750, you'll see a massive jump.

Also, AMD is so threatened by the 9900k they're going to launch with 12 core Zen 2. With it's expected 20% faster performance, that will just barely match your 9900k in productivity. We will see if they can actually price it lower.

I expect you'll get at least five years out of the 9900k, if not more. And you can buy it today, instead of six months down the road.
So this will be my setup:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K

Mainboard: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero

GPU: ZOTAC GeForce RTX 2070 AMP Extreme

Memory: Corsair DIMM 32 GB DDR4-2666 Quad-Kit

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

PSU: be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 11 CM 750W

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250 GB

2nd SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

Case: be quiet! SILENT BASE 601

- - - Updated - - -
[Reply]
Harrison 23:49 28th April 2019
Very nice setup. You will be future proofed with the i9 for a very long time, especially as it has 5GHz turbo boost so even though it's an unlocked K CPU there is really no need to overclock it.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 00:56 8th May 2019
Originally Posted by Harrison:
AMD processors are definitely finally the best gaming and general purpose CPUs again at the moment. I would only really recommend Intel for productivity because they do still offer some advantages for things like video editing, 3D rendering etc. GPU wise try to get a 2070 instead of a 2060 because it's more like a cheaper 2080 and will future proof you if you decide to upgrade to 4k monitors in thr future. However if you can find a reasonable second hand 1080 they actually outperform the newer 2080 in some tests.. although they seem to be commanding more second hand than they were new at the moment.

CPU I'm not 100% sure on the best AMD ones to get at thr moment because they keep releasing new models. If I were going Intel I would only invest in an i7 or i9 because they offer far more over the i5. But you are paying 3 sometimes 4 times thr prices of a similar performing AMD CPU so it really isn't worth it.
Ya know H....

I still canna believe your Banging on about AMD & Gaming. - Proper Tosh in every manner.

If you want a Gaming Rig with Stunning Productivity, Intel & nVidia all the way.

@ DC

Well done & special thank's for me not seeing your AMD suggestion earlier on. - It saved me & Harrison having another boring discussion about Intel with nVidia & AMD with ATI or nVidia; - Yuck!
The only thing I would have suggested would have been to go for a 1080Ti. - Infinitely more Cuda Cores & a much higher FPS rate than the the RTX2070 when gaming. You could have a grabbed a good 2nd hand Zotac Extreme Core Edition for the cost of the RTX2070.

GTX1080 Ti - 3584 Shading Units with 11GB DDR5 Ram giving Memory Bandwidth of 492.8GB/Sec on a 384Bit Architecture.

RTX2070 - 2304 Shading Units with 8GB DDR6 Ram giving Memory Bandwidth of 448GB/Sec on a 256Bit Architecture.

1080 Ti Pixel Fill Rate & Texture fill rate is 151.4 G/Pixels & 385.5 G/Texels

2070 Pixel Fill Rate & Texture fill rate is 103.7 G/Pixels & 233.3 G/Texels

To add, 384Bit Memory Architecture is like Butter compared to 256Bit (where's the 512Bit nVidia promised years ago??) & the 3GB of less Ram means you can't load as many textures onto the card.

Don't get me wrong, the RTX cards are awesome in terms of Real Time Ray Tracing, but it's only ever 60FPS @ best when doing so with the 2080 Ti's.

All I'm trying to say here is the 1080 Ti Smokes the 1070 in every manner. The 1080 Ti is approximately 50% faster on the best FPS you will see from the 2070.
I was lucky enough to buy mine from a guy that had two & he didn't even play games on them; - One was a spare, as he just re-codes Video & was gutted @ buying a 2080 Ti to see an identical Render rate comparing it to his 1080 Ti.

He did say I could have his 2nd card being an SLI nut, though I suggested he hung onto it as a back up card just in case. - I have a HB SLI Bridge on standby for the day he calls me to offer his 2nd 1080 Ti. - I'll be all over it like a rash.

The CPU you went for is simply awesome, so I'm more than sure you'll be floored with your new Rigs performance, & better still.....it's all brand new.

Pah, Bah & Meh @ AMD/ATI Harrison.
[Reply]
Harrison 08:05 8th May 2019
@Kin. AMD hadn't been worth buying for years. But their current range has simply pushed their CPUs right up there again. Great performance, at a great price point, often a third of the price to similar equivalent Intel CPUs.

Would I currently buy an AMD CPU? No. Mainly because I'm not just needing one for gaming, so would stick with an i7 or i9 combined with an nVidia GPU for Cuda support.

BTW, GPU specs are a bit lost on DC because he's not really using the system for gaming at all. Although utilising the nVidia cuda cores and GPU for accelerated video rendering and transcoding will be a bonus.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 14:49 8th May 2019
I have everything together now, spend some time uninstalling stuff on my old one, to see what programs I'm running, making backups of everything I could, and wrote down a list on what to install on the new one. Everything is ready now to install the new one under my desk, and remove the old. Gonna do that now straight away. And probably coming days I'll spend with installing, I like to do that thoroughly, so it always takes me some time.

Went with the RTX2070 as I bought the Intel CPU, but in the beginning I wanted even a lower priced one, like the RTX2060 which I considered, but already thought that it would be too much for my usage, like I said, I wanted a Vega 56 or perhaps Vega 64, or a 1660Ti, but in the end I decided to go with the RTX2070. And I definitely didn't wanna buy a used card, if I want something new, then everything should be new, so I didn't go with a 1080Ti, and in the end I went with the newer model GPU.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 00:51 9th May 2019
If it's any help RE 2nd hand stuff DC, I bought 2 x Zotac 780 Ti's over four years ago January 6th just gone & both of them cost £540 brand new. - They were end of the line & it was literally buy one, get one free when they were selling @ nearly £600 each in their hey-day.
The 2nd hand 1080 Ti I bought was barely 12 months old, cost £520 & completely blows the 780 Ti's out of the water.

I guess the 780 Ti's work out at about £135 a year & hope I'm as lucky with the 1080 Ti but of course, a 2nd one will ramp my yearly cost up.

Seeing Battlefield 5 maxxed out with ULTRA settings and holding over 100fps is mental Gaming & looks stunning on an nVidia G-Sync IPS panel @ 2560 x 1440.

You couldn't have bought a better CPU though & (I'm almost slightly envious 'cos I want one) the i9 9900K is simply a Monster & you will get the best from you 2070 possible. - I'm still banging an i7 3770k on an Asus P8 Z77 Premium board @ 4.7GGhz under water. She's been happy @ this speed for the last 6 years now & I know I'm not getting the best out of the 1080 Ti in any manner.
As a matter of interest, how are you cooling the 9900K?

Harrison, the issue with AMD/ATI for many years has always been around the drivers, or the lack of. - Can't speak for Freesync now that I'm a GSync guy, but back in the VSync days, ATI was very wrong in every manner.
RE AMD's CPU's tho, they have always chased Intel & never quite got there.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 14:05 9th May 2019
I’m probably not even using full power of the 2070 as I’m still with 2 HD only monitors, Dell2714.

Cooling of the CPU is done by a Noctua NH-D15.

[Reply]
Harrison 17:06 9th May 2019
Originally Posted by Kin Hell:
Harrison, the issue with AMD/ATI for many years has always been around the drivers, or the lack of. - Can't speak for Freesync now that I'm a GSync guy, but back in the VSync days, ATI was very wrong in every manner.
RE AMD's CPU's tho, they have always chased Intel & never quite got there.
I can't comment either as I've been running nVidia 970s for years too, plus an i7. I agree AMD GPUs did have some driver issues back in the day, but they were pretty fast to update when there was an issue. I remember for Star Wars The Old Republic the game wouldn't boot on release. You could hear the intro music and see the pointer, but blank screen. Next day driver update fixed it. nVidia drivers have had issues too over time. I think both are pretty even these days. Just depends what you want and need from a card.

I also have no experience on current AMD CPUs because their model ranking and numbering is bloody confusing! But in all reviews and the couple of friends who own them they perform quite impressively for the price.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 10:28 16th May 2019
Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner:
I’m probably not even using full power of the 2070 as I’m still with 2 HD only monitors, Dell2714.

Cooling of the CPU is done by a Noctua NH-D15.

https://astri.ee/assets/medias/23176...arvutitark.jpg
WOW! - Monster CPU, .....Monster Cooler I guess. - What sort of Idle/Full Load CPU Temps are you seeing DC?
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 17:32 16th May 2019
Didn't test full load yet, at the moment I'm copying huge chunks of data, so here's the result:

[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Up