Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread: Some nice neat and small RETRO/MAME SFF machines
Harrison 02:06 10th March 2010
You could make an S-Video to scart cable. Many scart sockets on TVs can accept S-Video signals.
[Reply]
1980-20.. 08:46 13th March 2010
Make! make!, who do you think i am McGyver?. Ive ordered a solution off of e bay
[Reply]
Bloodwych 19:58 13th March 2010
My Esprimo C5910 arrived earlier this week and it's very quiet - in fact I had to look twice to make sure it was switched on!!!!!

It runs four fans in the case, but at very low RPM. I was happy to find it came with the newer core2 E6320 with 4MB L2 cache, also 2GB dual channel RAM upgradeable to 8GB. The temps of the CPU are idle 27C, load 45C without any increase in fan RPM.

Very well designed - everything is screwless and uses green plastic latches. It has a laptop optical drive, but 3.5" SATA HDD. I'm going to get a SATA to eSATA cable and give it an external HDD connector to make use of that spare motherboard SATA header. Might also get a PCI riser card, as it didn't come with one.

This is going to make a nice SFF low power machine. Here is a pic of its guts on my knees:

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8076/c5910.jpg

It's about the same size as a PS3 fat.
[Reply]
1980-20.. 21:44 13th March 2010
Not been a good evening for me im a wee bit sad. My cable for pc to tv arived but no joy getting it to work, also my speccy arived and its dead, i purchased it untested.
[Reply]
Buleste 22:01 13th March 2010
If you ever want to try and get another speccy you could always try here. I know they're expensive but at least they come complete and tested.
[Reply]
Bloodwych 22:15 13th March 2010
What cable is it 1980-20? S-Video->SCART? Do you have a link?

Have you checked the graphics card drivers to make sure TV out is activated as monitor/display 2? Sometimes only one is active as a default setting.

As for the speccy, perhaps someone knows how to repair it on an enthusiast board.
[Reply]
1980-20.. 22:37 13th March 2010
Originally Posted by Buleste:
If you ever want to try and get another speccy you could always try here. I know they're expensive but at least they come complete and tested.
Cheers for that nice link and the QL on there isnt too bad a price oooh tempting but still out of my price range. I took a chance, got it cheap and well i payed the price, it was sold as spares and repairs and thats what i got so i shouldnt complain realy.I wasnt expecting it to be 100% but i was hoping it would only be a faulty keyboard membrane or boot to blank screen, but it apears to be completley dead.

Originally Posted by Bloodwych:
What cable is it 1980-20? S-Video->SCART? Do you have a link?

Have you checked the graphics card drivers to make sure TV out is activated as monitor/display 2? Sometimes only one is active as a default setting.

As for the speccy, perhaps someone knows how to repair it on an enthusiast board.
Its s/video to rcb using a scart converter. Ive tested on two different tvs on one i got b/w image as the pc was booting up but then it returned to blue av screen and on the other tv i got no picture but got audio interference. Its a cheap cable heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-Pin-S-Video-...item20aec23526

and yeah ill be asking for help at my usual hang out for speccy stuff, but i like chating with you guys too.
[Reply]
Bloodwych 23:20 13th March 2010
Glad you like sharing your Speccy interests!

Lots of info on Google regarding S-Video -> SCART and why you get a b&w picture:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=1...G=Search&meta=

Some TV's can cycle through different SCART modes or have one scart hooked up for composite and S-Video only. Perhaps the graphics drivers allow output to composite rather than S-Video too?

Also try booting the computer with the TV and not a VGA monitor connected, as the 8400GS can have problems with two simultanious analog sources.

Looks like your issue is only getting one of the S-Video feeds instead of a combined two, plus the display going out of range when windows boots (refresh or resolution issue in driver settings?)

Might be worth a few different Google searches, if you haven't tried already.

Also found this, which should make sure you get all S-Video feeds put through to SCART, rather than just one, but again there is no guarantee: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Scart-to-3-RCA...item3ef4bad5a2
[Reply]
1980-20.. 23:40 13th March 2010
Cheers for all the help bloodwych, i think i was expecting it to be easy and straight forward. I should get there in the end.
[Reply]
Bloodwych 09:02 14th March 2010
I'm probably mentioning things you've already looked into, but good luck with finishing off the build.

The best option would be a 21" or larger CRT VGA monitor rather than TV, but they can cost a bit to get delivered because of the weight.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5 6
Up