Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: KryoFlux - USB Floppy Controller Beta Released
fiath 20:29 23rd February 2010
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Will you be releasing a full list of drive makes and models that are fully compatible once the hardware is finalised? Or is this something you would be interested in the community testing and creating?
That is a great idea on both counts. We could have a list on the website, with compatibility reports sent in by users.

Originally Posted by :
I do know a few different people who might be interested. However they would need to know the full details of the planned license and certification first to see if it was worth their while.
Ah, excellent. Please get them to contact us. I am sure we can sort something out on very reasonable terms.
[Reply]
Harrison 18:59 29th June 2010
The Kryoflux boards are finally going into production and are in Public Beta testing.

Full details can be found at http://www.kryoflux.com/

Preorders for the board are now open with the board costing €89 and a premium bundle consisting of the board, floppy drive cable, USB cable and PSU for €99. Registration of interest in purchasing one is on their site.

More details:

KryoFlux is a USB-based floppy controller designed specifically for reliability, precision, and getting low-level reads suitable for software preservation.
Prototype Features
Prototype Rear
Main Features

Technical Specs

Notes

Package Options

Ready-made KryoFlux hardware is not available today, but we will start taking orders soon.

You can register your interest in one of the following packages. By registering, you help us get an idea of numbers, and it also puts you at the front of the queue when KryoFlux hardware is available, as the first production run is likely to be limited. Prices may change depending on numbers registered. Prices include VAT.

The accompanying software is free for personal use only. Commercial or other use requires a license, please contact us for a quote.

Further details and registration is available at http://www.kryoflux.com/
[Reply]
burns flipper 13:12 30th June 2010
Excellent!! And at only...£2.37 cheaper than a Catweasel Mk4+...

Wait for the Euro to go weak again!!
[Reply]
Harrison 16:26 30th June 2010
It is a bit of a dilemma isn't it. Get a Catweasel MK4 Plus, or this new KryoFlux. The 2 are very different pieces of hardware.

I have the feeling the retro community might take to the KryoFlux a lot more than the Catweasel and start to explore developing the hardware and software further. If that happens then it could become very popular within the whole retro scene.
[Reply]
burns flipper 12:36 1st July 2010
I'd rather have a Kryoflux than a Catweasel in my PC - simply because I can plug it in when I need it (so it's not taking up resources or drive names when I'm not using it, and I use my PC a LOT more than when I would be using it for ripping my PD disks), and gives a much better resulting disk image including the copy protection etc. I would also sell it once I had ripped all of my disks.

It made me laugh watching the promo video which said "other solutions utilise expensive PCI cards to interface a simple floppy drive to a computer"...yes, and the Kryoflux costs the same to interface a simple floppy drive to a computer...
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 13:02 1st July 2010
Originally Posted by burns flipper:
I'd rather have a Kryoflux than a Catweasel in my PC - simply because I can plug it in when I need it (so it's not taking up resources or drive names.
With the older Catweasel models, the drivers were started with the startup of your PC, the MkIV drivers are only started when you launch the application, thus terminated when closing it.

I don't either think that it needs a drive name, as you can only use the drive attached to the Catweasel controller, and when you quit the application, it removes the drive again. Don't even know if it shows one when you start it. Long time ago when I used it last, so I'm not 100% sure about it.
[Reply]
fiath 21:07 2nd July 2010
Yes, sadly we underestimated how much everything would cost. A low-volume manufacturing run, RoHS compliance, WEEE compliance (expensive!), postage, purchasing multiple production prototype boards for testing (which are hand made) - obviously hardware you can't correct later. That is not including all the other little costs and the time we have put into all this.

Still, it's all been very much worth it. We're really excited about how things are progressing. Hopefully well have more news soon!
[Reply]
Harrison 01:19 3rd July 2010
Definitely look forward to more information as you get it.

And don't worry, we very much appreciate that any hardware made for the retro scene is always going to cost more than mass produced hardware. Limited production runs and more exotic components will always push the price up, but the retro scene is not about making money, but enjoying the great old systems, and most still within the scene are willing to may a premium to obtain the custom make hardware to expand and improve their passion.

Keep up the great work, and I look forward to the next news update on your progress.
[Reply]
mr.vince 15:54 31st December 2010
Hi, I intended to post more information and updates here, but as a new user I can't post links so... my first topic is a bit useless.

---------- Post added at 16:54 ---------- Previous post was at 16:54 ----------

Hi, there has been so much progress you have not seen since it was moved to a dedicated site & forums:

http://www.kryoflux.com

http://forum.kryoflux.com

It's working fine so far with many 3", 3.5" and 5.25" drives. More drives are under investigation.

We currently do have support for FM, MFM (this includes IBM PC, Atari ST and many others, including many musical instruments), AmigaDOS, C64, many Apple formats and Emulator I+II from E-MU Systems. More formats will be added.

One key feature is the option to do forensic dumps regardless of the format, so even alien formats can be read and archived and then processed later.

Writing, as Richard wrote, does work, we have tested the hardware and can confirm it can write data to disk. We just have not finished this part of the software, because other features (ports, GUI) seemed more important and we all do work full time besides doing this.

The software, including a GUI, is available for Windows (and yes, we *do* support 64bit ) and Linux, with a Mac port in production. The software is completely free for private, non-commercial use = the community gets it for free. Pro-users need to get a commercial licence for it. These will help to fund further development.

Here's a quick overview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjEPo2pRGjY

Basic (older) schematics are included with the software, and we plan to release the current schematics (which do use bus drivers) with the next release.

We also have pre-built boards available, so you don't have to etch your own boards and start soldering. Many people that originally intended to built their own decided to go for a ready-made product when they saw the pitch used here (the components are *really* small).

Anyway, if you want a board, you can get them here: http://webstore.kryoflux.com/catalog

Cheers,
Chris
[Reply]
Harrison 19:13 31st December 2010
Thank you for the update Chris. (btw, are the same person as the fiath account who posted above in this thread? or a different member of this project?)

It is great to see you have continued working hard on this project and it has renewed my interest. I will definitely be looking at the new site when i get time.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up