Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: FPU for Amitek RAM Card
StarshipUK 16:40 4th March 2010
I have just bought an Amitek 8MB RAM Card for an Amiga 1200.

Please could someone tell me in the FPU I have pictured below will fit into this and work?
Attached: fpu.JPG (5.2 KB)
[Reply]
Harrison 13:27 5th March 2010
I think the FPU you have pictured there is a 16MHz one.

The AmiTek Hawk 8MB Ram board you have can accept a 68882 (PLCC) FPU at 20, 33 or 40Mhz. You will also need to install a matching speed Crystal Oscillator, which fits jus below the FPU socket. Vesalia.de sell both.
[Reply]
Phantom 22:28 5th March 2010
Yes Dave, I bet also it's 16MHz (look the last letters on the chip).
[Reply]
StarshipUK 01:26 6th March 2010
Thanks for the help. It looks like Vesalia.de are out of stock of PLCC FPUs.

Being an Newbie Amiga user, I am not sure if I really need one anyway
[Reply]
Harrison 02:51 6th March 2010
You won't see any benefit from an FPU unless you play some of the Amiga's 3D games like Frontier: Elite 2, or thr First Person Shooters like Gloom or Alien Breed 3D, which support it, or if you run software that utilised thr FPU to speed up calculations like 3D rendering, compression, image editing or accounting.

If you are mainly gaming then you won't see a huge benefit.
[Reply]
Fern 02:35 7th March 2010
It's always been one of those things I'd prefer to have and not need, than the other way around. I am an unfortunate sufferer of "empty socket syndrome", and as such am disturbed greatly by solder pads for missing optional ICs, empty expansion ports, and chip sockets vacant doing nothing when they could be doing something.

You never know when you might run software that'll need one!
[Reply]
Harrison 10:51 7th March 2010
I'm exactly the same. If I have an accelerator card or motherboard, I hate knowing their are empty ram slots that could be in use, or chips that might be of use.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up