Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: [PS3] - White Knight Chronicles
Demon Cleaner 16:16 4th February 2010
I was waiting for that game, because I thought that it looked really great and promising. But I had a look at the reviews now, and it seems that it has a lot of flaws. Gamespot rated it 6/10, and IGN even only gave it a 5.1. Watch the video review from IGN here.
[Reply]
Harrison 16:47 4th February 2010
Not brilliant scores, but 5 and 6 should indicate a game is good for its genre, just not outstanding in any way. Probably still worth playing.
[Reply]
Sharingan 00:36 28th March 2010
I've only played it for half an hour so far. I think the main criticism has been that it's deviated majorly from the concept videos that were released a year ago. Also, the visuals look rather dated, at times bordering on slightly-above-PS2-quality. It should still be a fun game though, especially for the peeps who like the genre.
[Reply]
Sharingan 17:36 17th May 2010
Finished the game once (just the single-player portion - haven't touched multiplayer). Some opinions here.

While the game definitely isn't what I hoped it would be (based on the preview videos), I don't think it's as bad a a 5 (out of 10) either. It's a decent enough RPG with a solid (if a bit uninvolving) battle system. The visuals and storyline are only so-so, but I have a feeling this first WKC is just a stepping stone to much greater things. With the experience Level-5 have gained from developing this first installment, I think they'll definitely learn from the criticisms and deliver a very good second episode. The storyline did get more interesting in the end (all the way up to the cliffhanger ending), so Level-5 should have a solid foundation to work on.

I'd give it a 7 if I were a reviewer.
[Reply]
Phantom 17:40 17th May 2010
I never trust GameSpot's scores. They are simply "in their own world".
[Reply]
Sharingan 21:46 17th May 2010
True. For that matter, I don't trust IGN either. These big review sites just don't seem all that objective to me, considering the amount of moneyhatting that goes around nowadays.

Publisher: Hey, look. Here's a free game and some goodies for you.

IGN: Would you like a 9.0 or a 9.5?

I'd rather base my opinion on user comments or the smaller review sites.
[Reply]
Harrison 08:20 18th May 2010
I think they tend to actually score most games more accurately. Same with Edge magazine. Rather than like most where the average score seems to be 7 or 8, they actually use 5 as the middle, good, average game score, so you know that anything scoring a 7 or above will be special.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 14:04 19th May 2010
I got the game 1 week ago, it was only 22£ anymore, so I bought it.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up