Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Poll: Will you be upgrading to Vista?
Will you be upgrading to Vista?
  • View Poll Results

1 2 3 4 5 6
    Thread: Will you upgrade to Vista?
    Harrison 15:52 23rd February 2007
    Built for you? Have you considered trying to build one yourself?
    [Reply]
    rayzorblue 16:03 24th February 2007
    not really ill get my dad to build it for me i not the technically gifted type, although i did install my dvd drive lol
    [Reply]
    FOL 18:13 21st August 2007
    I will not be upgrading to Vista, simple fact is because compatability sucks. Also i dont like being held randsom. I was looking forward to halo2, and its released as Vista ONLY.

M$ are complete AR**S.
    [Reply]
    Harrison 22:22 21st August 2007
    I will eventually end up using Vista as my main OS at some point, but not yet.

It does have some very nice changes such as the new search facilities, and I like the new way directories work with a Directory Opus style navigation system. And some of the new features such as the games area is a nice idea, although developers will need to directly support.

I can see the logic behind everything that has been done with Vista. There has to come a time when you have to launch a new OS and leave some of the past behind and move on. They have done that with Direct X 10, as well as the ideas for Live! support for PC games, creating a proper central gaming network for PC gamers rather than the current fragmented one with different games using different networks.

It's just going to take some time for everything to be ironed out and for developers to catch up, and for consumers to move on.

And we still have XP. It's not like it has just vanished with the launch of Vista. Dual booting or even running XP as a virtual machine on a dual or quad core equipped Vista system are other options to maintain compatibility.
    [Reply]
    Stephen Coates 08:18 22nd August 2007
    Does anyone here have a copy of Vista that I could errm, borrow?

I am certainly not switching to Vista, but I do want to try it out, mostly because I could do with trying out some Mac emulators and comparing them to XP/2000.
    [Reply]
    J T 15:15 22nd August 2007
    'Fraid not. I don't know how easy it is to find cracked, give the usual torrent sites a look I guess.

You do know the system requirements are fairly high, right?

Let us know how you get on.
    [Reply]
    Harrison 16:29 22nd August 2007
    I was about to say that. What PC spec were you going to try and run Vista on?

512MB ram minimum! And then it won't be nice to use. 1GB ram is really the minimum. And a 3GHz CPU is also really the minimum too.
    [Reply]
    Tiago 17:04 22nd August 2007
    I installed it 3 mounths ago in my Asys AV6A i have 1GB Ram but windows was quite slow, i got small problems with some devices.
    I think Vista consumes 512MB of Ram just to be sitting on the Sofa, if you want to stand up, more 512MB.... and so on....
    [Reply]
    Sharingan 10:26 26th August 2007
    Whenever I hear 'Vista', I immediately think 'Digital Rights Management', and that alone is enough to make me want to not touch it with a ten-foot pole. Also, I've heard horror stories of people needing to call Microsoft to reactivate their copy of Windows after swapping around a stick of DDR-RAM? What the hell.

I'll stick to XP for a while yet.
    [Reply]
    Harrison 11:46 26th August 2007
    As with XP, no point changing until it has been reliably cracked.
    [Reply]
    Tags:Array
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    Up