Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: The Battle of the Icons
Puni/Void 09:14 5th December 2009
What kind of icons have you installed on your Amiga?

I'm currently running MagicWB in 16 colours. Have found most of the icons I was looking for on Aminet. In the background I've got the "Intel Outside" logo with Magic Copper enabled. Because of this, it seems like I have thousands of colours on the bench. The beauty of MagicWB is that you can run your Workbench with few colours (very fast with a 030), while it still looks colourful.

What kind of iconset do you use? Newicons? MagicWB? Glowicons? Something else?
[Reply]
Buleste 10:04 5th December 2009
I have a registered copy of MagicWB from years ago but I now prefer the look of the GlowIcons of WB3.5+
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 11:00 5th December 2009
I currently have the GlowIcons on OS3.9. They look nice in thousands of colours on a high resolution graphics card display .
[Reply]
Bloodwych 15:19 5th December 2009
I use Copper Demon for the copper background effect and I agree PG, it makes low colour Workbenches look vivid instead of lifeless and drab.

I too use a 16 colour Workbench as my A1200 is an 020 + 8MB FASTRAM, but use icons hardly anyone else seems to like. "Freshicons" from Aminet::

http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/advpics.htm

They are standard icons, not Newicons, so have better performance on standard 020's and they are the most colourful 16 colour set I've ever seen. I like the artwork on them and they can be made borderless too through the power of Scalos.

It's the big, bold nature of them that caught my eye. Each icon has character. I've noticed with the ClassicWB packs most people either choose FULL or ADVSP style icons so this look isn't so popular.

I do like the Glowicon/Newicon look too, and I also love the tradition look of Magicwb style icons plus Topaz 8 fonts in PAL high res 640x256. WinUAE allows me to use the lot!
[Reply]
Harrison 23:35 7th December 2009
As I use various flavours of ClassicWB with my Amigas I'm using the icons that come with the packages, therefore as Bloodwych has said above.

And as he said, they are great on low colour workbench setups to maintain speed and reduce chip ram usage.
[Reply]
Cammy 10:29 18th December 2009
I use some GlowIcons style 16 colour icons on my A1200. Normal GlowIcons, NewIcons, and most other iconsets remap nicely to the 16 colour palette I use, but I don't have a screenshot right now. I'll try and take one in the next couple of days once I've tidied a few things up.
[Reply]
Bloodwych 13:57 22nd December 2009
Cammy your Workbench is a work of art. I've seen it before, very nice!
[Reply]
woody.cool 11:07 27th December 2009
I have the GlowIcons that come as standard with OS3.9
They look v.nice (if a bit big sometimes) but find them a bit slow to draw on my A1200 with '040 and 32MB FAST RAM (and no gfx card of any sort)
[Reply]
Bloodwych 11:33 27th December 2009
Woody.C, have you got FBlit, WBCtrl and IconbeFast installed?

They really speed up icon draws.
[Reply]
woody.cool 11:57 27th December 2009
Originally Posted by Bloodwych:
Woody.C, have you got FBlit, WBCtrl and IconbeFast installed?

They really speed up icon draws.
I 'think' I have FBlit and WBCtrl but defo not IconbeFast.
tbh, as much as I love the look of 3.9, I'm considering taking a back track to 3.1
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up