Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: NGage games on Nokia phones
Harrison 01:48 23rd September 2009
I've just inherited my wife's Nokia N95 8GB as she got a free upgrade to the new Nokia 5800 touch phone (which is very nice).

So I thought I would see what software was available for the N95 and Symbian OS. I quite like the Symbian 3 OS on this phone. It's responsive to use and loads most pages and applications pretty quickly, plus after a bit of fiddling it becomes easy to use. Much more like a full OS on the phone than most other phone OSs. I've read that some newer Samsung phones are now using it, and I'm now wondering if the new Samsung Jet is using a customised variant of Symbian 5.

And as this is the N95 8GB version it has lots of room crying out for some games.

After a bit of searching I discovered it is fairly easy to software hack Symbian 3 phones by first installing a newer version of the NGage app, then something called the TRK app which you launch from the phone to form a connected to your PC via USB when you wish to install some new games or applications, and finally a program called Secman. This runs on the phone and lets you install a root certificate onto the phone so you can the install unsigned applications. This is very important as normally when you download an app/game they are signed to your phone and locked to it. This only needs to be run once (I think).

I've so far done all this and successfully installed 3 N-Gage games on the phone and they work very nicely. Much nicer than Java phone games.

If anyone has a Nokia Sumbian 3 based phone and wants to know more please let me know and I can supply you with the files needed. I had some trouble with the first set of files I downloaded as the Secman.exe program refused to run under Vista 64bit, but I eventually found an alternative version of the program and that works perfectly. Now to explore all the N-Gage games.

I've also spotted some emulators available! NES one downloading at the moment.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up