Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: C64 storage
Buleste 09:42 9th September 2009
I've just got a C64C and rather than getting loads of tapes and then waiting for the damn things to load I want to use a more modern method. Which of the following can anyone recommend?

IDE64
MMC64/Replay
1541U
[Reply]
Harrison 11:57 9th September 2009
Demon Cleaner is the man to ask about this as I think he recently purchased a memory card unit for the C64.

Also have a look at http://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/SD2IEC.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 13:01 9th September 2009
I bought the 1541-III some time ago, and it's great. Have a look at Jan Derogee's homepage: http://jderogee.tripod.com/

The 1541 Ultimate is a bit expensive, and I wanted to get one some time ago, but eventually didn't, and finally ended up with a 1541-III.

Here's also an older thread at CA about it.
[Reply]
Buleste 08:59 10th September 2009
Are 1541-III's still about and can you use games that require multiple disks (i.e Knights Of Legend uses 4 double sided disks so there are 8 disk images + a character disk)?

Also Whilst I'm trying to decide and saving could anyone do me a tape with some games on (especially Elite)? PM me if you can please.
[Reply]
xpect 10:44 10th September 2009
I've been with a Spanish friend and he has a MMC64 (now MMC replay) and works really well. Easy to set up and use. And he also had a MP3@64 and he played Mp3 from the c64 and was quite amazing has the sound of that thing is really good!
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 12:44 10th September 2009
Originally Posted by Buleste:
Are 1541-III's still about and can you use games that require multiple disks (i.e Knights Of Legend uses 4 double sided disks so there are 8 disk images + a character disk)?
You use the 1541-III just like a normal floppy, if you need to swap the disk, you do it in the GUI of the device. The .d64 files are stored on the SD card.
[Reply]
Buleste 13:44 11th September 2009
I'm not stupid. I know that the d64 files are stored on the SD card. When I'm on about multiple disks I mean games with multiple disk images as I know that some SD devices have had compatibility problems with multiload games and others have a limit on the number of disk images that can be mounted.

However as 1541-III is no longer in production there's no point in me looking for one for a reasonable price.

Also as there is no MMC64/Replay or SD2IEC in stock or available no point in me looking at them either. Looks like I'm saving up for a 1541U and hope they become available for reorder.
[Reply]
Cortona 12:37 14th September 2009
There are some good things about loading C64 games from tape:

On the other hand, I've got Pirates! on tape. My god, you could prepare and eat a three-course meal waiting for that to load. Excruciating.
[Reply]
Buleste 15:13 14th September 2009
The fun part was when it was delivered there was already a tape in the datasette so I plugged everything in, crossed my fingers that nothing blew up, pressed SHIFT RUN/STOP (god how I missed that), pressed play, went out walked the cat and when I came back several minutes later........ the game had failed to load as the tape heads were dirty. How I missed that feeling of anticipation only to be let down in the end.

I cleaned the tape machine and loaded the tape and I was disappointed to learn it was Out Run. A truly awful conversion.
[Reply]
Cortona 19:24 14th September 2009
Ha! Outrun was truly dire. The Spectrum version was better.

Anyway, you didn't really expect a 20 year-old tape deck to have clean heads, did you?
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up