Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: format compap-flash for A1200 in SFS
Tiago 16:35 3rd September 2009
In workbench when you go to Hdtools and set the partition size,
i set the DH0 to 2GB, and then the HD1 i passed the 4GB limit and he passes from 4GB to 0 counting again, so imagine that i want 5GB, i set to 5GB but hdtool says 1GB that corresponds to 4GB + 1GB he passes the limit...
but after IDEfix installed he reads HD1 as 5gb but with SFS of course.
In FFS i think we can only go to 4GB, but i dont see why not 3 or more partitions of 4gb each... i must try it
[Reply]
Harrison 16:49 3rd September 2009
I think it is more to do with how the disk sizes are calculated and read using the FFS file system. I just don't think it can address the space larger than 4GB. A bit like ram sizes on older PC motherboards.
[Reply]
xpect 08:38 4th September 2009
Originally Posted by Harrison:
When I tried a SFS formatted HDD in my A600 it just threw up an NDOS disk error and wouldn't boot.
No, the problem with recent versions of SFS is that you need Kick 3.0+

Check this version for 2.04:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~hjohn/SFS184.lha

EDIT: I'm sorry, but ALL version of SFS need at least a 020 processor. I thought that these earlier versions could pass with a 68000
[Reply]
Harrison 12:56 4th September 2009
I also thought that initially xpect, but as my A600 has KS 3.1 installed I realised it wasn't. It is annoying not being able to use SFS with the A600 as it makes things much easier. Oh well.
[Reply]
Tiago 16:39 7th September 2009
i am very

i thought the 8GB compact-flash was working well, but i was wrong, after install 1st partition with SFS the 2nd one crash after copy some stuff into it, i am not able to use SFS in more then 1 partition, it crash after a bit. Don't know if it's from the card. I am doing everything bu the book, and the 1st partition works fine at 2GB, but the 2nd after copy some data crashes and i am not able to access it anymore.
I give up SFS... also because the card was for A600, so i format with FFS, but again, problems, if i put 2Gb+4GB+2GB it crashes and 1st partition goes do nondos... if i use only 2 partitions, the same, but i am able to work with the 2nd partition, formating again the 1st one, .... what a mess!!!!!

another thing that me .... is that the card is type I... so it takes a lot of time to copy files.... i spend more then 5 hours with this s***,
i will try now to use only 1 partition with 4gb, if it works.... fine, finnish, end

With real HDs, it never happend...
anyone try a compac-flash bigger then 4GB?
[Reply]
Harrison 16:45 7th September 2009
I've not tried any CF cards with Amigas yet, but have been tempted.

I have however had similar problems with large HDDs corrupting. When I was originally setting up my current A600 HDD I had set SFS up and it was all working correctly. I had installed classicWB and waited a very long time to copy all of the KGWHD game and demo packs over to the drive. Then I removed the drive from the PC and connected it up to the A600, it booted and worked a couple of times, but then the drive went NDOS. On connected it back up to the PC the HD boot record had become corrupted. So I had to set SFS up again and do it all again. Second time it worked perfectly though.
[Reply]
Tiago 16:48 7th September 2009
Exactly what happend!!
but it could do that in the beggining or in the end of copying all the files...

But today or tommorow i will get a conclusion... let you now after.
[Reply]
Tiago 22:30 7th September 2009
I try it again, and best i could do was
2 partitions of 3,8 GB each.

But even with this simple setup i had a problem, after copy the files (games/demos) to DH1, the DH0 just went wrong, and went nondos.... so i had to format again DH0 and put again classicwb. But now it works good, so 3,8+3,8 should be enough for everything, but it is FFS not SFS...
in winuae works fine, i must try tomorrow in real A1200 and A600 (after receive the new rom)
[Reply]
Harrison 23:05 7th September 2009
Not sure if it will work in a real Amiga, so I will be interested to see if you can get it to work.

Regarding when my HDD last its boot record. I forget exactly what the setting was, but I hadn't set SFS up completely right the first time and this caused the corruption. Running through the whole SFS process as I laid out in the Wiki worked perfectly the second time and the 40GB HDD in my A1200 works perfectly with a 2GB boot partition, a couple of 4GB partitions for software and data, and a large 28GB partition for WHDLoad games and demos.
[Reply]
Tiago 22:32 9th September 2009
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Not sure if it will work in a real Amiga, so I will be interested to see if you can get it to work.

Regarding when my HDD last its boot record. I forget exactly what the setting was, but I hadn't set SFS up completely right the first time and this caused the corruption. Running through the whole SFS process as I laid out in the Wiki worked perfectly the second time and the 40GB HDD in my A1200 works perfectly with a 2GB boot partition, a couple of 4GB partitions for software and data, and a large 28GB partition for WHDLoad games and demos.
I try it today, and yes in works in A1200 with 8mb ram.
compact-flash 8GB - DH0 (FFS 3,8GB) and DH1 (FFS 3,8GB) works well.

I install classicwb in DH0 and put several games in DH1 and works very nice.
All Games worked!!!

about SFS... no way, i cannot work with it in compact-flash, but will try in real HD.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up