Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Intenet in Portugal at 1 Gbps
Tiago 10:29 11th August 2009

Portuguese cablenet Zon Multimedia has announced plans for the commercial deployment of a 1 Gbps broadband internet service. Portuguese cablenet Zon Multimedia has announced plans for the commercial deployment of a 1 Gbps broadband internet service. The residential product will debut this September as part of a two-tier offer that also includes a 200 Mbps offering.

In a statement the company said the deployment, which has already completed field tests, would put Portugal among the leading countries in the world when it came to internet speeds and reinforced its commitment to promote next generation networks in the country.

In January this year Zon launched broadband internet at speeds of 100 Mbps and 50 Mbps. It later included the internet access as part of its Zon Fiber packages.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2009/...bps-broadband/
http://www.telecompaper.com/news/art...spx?cid=684849
[Reply]
Harrison 11:58 11th August 2009
How widely available will this be? In the UK they have been trialling broadband over 200Mbps but it will only be available to a handful of locations close to their fibre infrastructure.
[Reply]
Tiago 12:30 11th August 2009
We already have 100mbps in some cities. Not all, there are other ISP that cover different areas, but i would say they will cover the major cities.

1gbps? Can you imagine? why to download a movie? You can watch it from the net...

1 gigabits per second = 1024 megabytes per second....
[Reply]
Harrison 12:53 11th August 2009
Not quite. 1Gbps = 1024Mbps = 128MBps

Still, it is fast.
[Reply]
Tiago 13:50 11th August 2009
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Not quite. 1Gbps = 1024Mbps = 128MBps

Still, it is fast.
huuuuuummmmmm ....

yes, that's it....
[Reply]
Harrison 13:56 11th August 2009
It's the old marketing trick. Use bits instead of bytes to make things sound much faster or much larger.

Remember the 16-bit cartridge sizes stated by Sega and Nintendo? Constantly trying to outdo each other on their latest games having the largest cartridge size. They used to state things like "latest game arriving on largest cart yet. 256Mb. However when you actually work that out its 32MB. Still, at the time that was qite large for a game. Especially when you compared it to Amiga and PC games at the same time.

And regarding network speeds. 128MB/s is still faster than most peoples LANs, and those can transfer files pretty fast between PCs. I want a broadband connection that fast! Not the 3Mbit one I'm currently stuck on due to rural location.
[Reply]
Tiago 14:24 11th August 2009
I cannot imagine such speed....
i actualy have 5mbps (the minimum for my ISP) witch i can do a +/- 500 kb/s stable download and i think that's good.... i wounder what would be with 1gbps ....
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up