Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4
Thread: Asus Laptop....DEAD.
Submeg 06:25 3rd August 2009
Hey people, I was using my laptop, about to log in, when BANG. The screen went scrambled. I turned it off by holding down the power button and then rebooted it. It then got to the log in screen (in normal windows mode) and I went to log in but the laptop just shut down. I tried to turn it back on, but it would not turn on?!

I did some searching on the net, and people have said, take the battery out, disconnect the power and hold down the power button for 45 seconds. I did that, and hey presto! The laptop is back on! Supposedly it's to do with the CMOS battery? Can anyone explain that to me??
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 08:21 3rd August 2009
Perhaps if the clock battery is dead to the point where it cannot be recharged, or if it is a dead non-rechargable battery, the laptop might not boot up.

Laptops don't seem to like dead clock batteries. Probably best to just replace it. I don't know what type your perticular laptop will use (a service manual should tell you if you don't know), but they are usually just those small, thin, circular types.
[Reply]
Harrison 15:39 3rd August 2009
Strange. I've never had a PC (laptop or desktop) not bootable due to the CMOS battery. Which battery did you take out to make it boot? The CMOS clock battery, or the laptops main battery? I have seen such behaviour when a laptop's main battery dies.
[Reply]
Submeg 08:05 4th August 2009
I took out the main laptop battery
[Reply]
Harrison 10:41 4th August 2009
So the main battery is to blaim, which is a common fault on all laptops. An old trick that I don't know if it works any more with modern laptop batteries was to put the battery in the freezer for a couple of hours. Seal it into a plastic bag and then stick it in the deep freeze.

I often used to work and get dead batteries working again. Something to do with correcting the chemical imbalance within the battery and returning it to normal. Worth a try if the battery is dead anyway.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 15:42 4th August 2009
I did read about that harrison a few years ago and tried it with a couple of laptop batteries. Can't really remember whether it worked or not, but I think it was for NiMH batteries only and that it would either not work or damage lithium batteries. I will have to check that out.
[Reply]
Submeg 09:29 5th August 2009
Im not sure its dead, I havent even had this laptop for a year??
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 11:14 5th August 2009
I have a dead battery for one of my laptops, and I got another one, which unfortunately isn't working 100%. Ok, it's always better than the old one, but still, it only loads until 80% and decreases very fast.

I put the old one in the freezer yesterday to do a test have to remind me to take it out though.
[Reply]
Harrison 12:39 5th August 2009
Originally Posted by Submeg:
Im not sure its dead, I havent even had this laptop for a year??
That means nothing. Batteries can die at any point in their life. If it is less than a year old it is still covered under warranty so you can get a free replacement.
[Reply]
v85rawdeal 16:24 5th August 2009
Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner:
I have a dead battery for one of my laptops, and I got another one, which unfortunately isn't working 100%. Ok, it's always better than the old one, but still, it only loads until 80% and decreases very fast.

I put the old one in the freezer yesterday to do a test have to remind me to take it out though.
Just don't put in the microwave to defrost it...
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4
Up