Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Dolphin Gamecube/Wii emulator
Harrison 00:02 30th July 2009
Has anyone tried the more recent versions of the Dolphin emulator?

When I tried it shortly after it first appears it didn't run much, but I was just seeing how far the project had come and was blown away.

It can now emulate and run most Gamecube games very well. Just look at Youtube for some great examples of the emulator running some Gamecube games.

But it goes better. It can now also emulate Wii games. I watched a video of Super Mario Galaxy and it emulates it perfectly.

The Wii SMG video is found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy7zRdD6JhU

The Gamecube SMS can be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS7AqHdaMWc

I've going to be test driving the 64bit version of this emulator tomorrow.

[Reply]
Harrison 00:07 30th July 2009
I also just found a better video showing Twilight Princess running under Wii emulation, and it shows the emulator being setup and launched.

Time to download some Wii ISOs I think!
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 01:05 30th July 2009
I tested it a month ago, when I updated all of my emulators, and the compatibility was quite amazing. Didn't try any Wii games yet, as I don't need anymore now But I already have 25 games
[Reply]
Shoonay 12:33 31st July 2009
Just tried it in Luigi's Mansion (the smallest ISO I could find ) and DAMN!
That's the first time I see both my CPU's cores working at 100%!
I know my hardware is rather old (see my sig) and I didn't expect much, but 8-10FPS is a bit too low - I remember getting way more than that on accelerated Crash Bandicoot2 with some PSX emulator (Bleem was it? or the mac emu...) on my good old trusty Celeron 333MHz back in '99.
Anyways, despite the emu speed - without the sound it's pretty useless imho
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 13:01 31st July 2009
Originally Posted by Shoonay:
I know my hardware is rather old (see my sig)
You don't have a sig
[Reply]
Harrison 14:12 31st July 2009
The Gamecube is a much more complex system that the PSX was by quite some margin. Emulating its 128bit 485MHz CPU is going to be quite taxing alone, plus the ATI graphics chip, and then for sound you then have to factor in its 64 channel 16bit DSP that supported Dolby, DTS and AC3.

It is a surpise they have managed to emulate the Gamecube and Wii at all.

I think the speed of the emulation is more down to the graphics card you have as well as the cpu and ram.
[Reply]
Shoonay 18:04 31st July 2009
Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner:
Originally Posted by Shoonay:
I know my hardware is rather old (see my sig)
You don't have a sig
Yes I do, a graphical one just like your but mine is 'clickable' and actually leads somewhere ;p

Originally Posted by Harrison:
The Gamecube is a much more complex system that the PSX was...
Yes, I do realize that, but... DAMN, couldn't they improve the emulation (at least the sound) after all these years? Same goes for PS2...
You guys remember when they told emulating PSX or N64 was impossible back then? I remember one day (a few months after Gran Turismo came out) grabbing my newest monthly issue of PSX Extreme magazine and they've introduced a 100% working PSX emulator (showing Gran Turismo) and a N64 one (showing Mario 64).
Now that was a shocker.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 18:13 31st July 2009
I don't see your sig??

[Reply]
Harrison 18:32 31st July 2009
I can see his sig. Maybe you have some adblocking software running?

I remember UltraHLE suddenly appearing in 1998 and being blown away by how well it could emulate the N64. And I had a Voodoo II card at the time as well so it was fully supported.

And the early PSX emulation was impressive too. Especially with how it could improve the texture quality. Although N64 emulation was more impressive because it shows how N64 games were not fixed to one resolution. I ran Mario 64 in 1024x768 at the time and it looked so much better than on a real N64. The horrid full screen smudgy anti-aliasing completely gone.

I just haven't seen the same level of interest in people wanting to emulate the xbox or PS2. The hardware is really cheap these days, and the original xbox faily easy to softmod, and the PS2 easy to chip or use a mod swap disc, so it isn't so important I suppose.
[Reply]
Shoonay 12:38 1st August 2009
Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner:
I don't see your sig??
Guess something blocks www.xfire.com stuff for you... NoScript?

Originally Posted by Harrison:
I just haven't seen the same level of interest in people wanting to emulate the xbox or PS2. The hardware is really cheap these days, and the original xbox faily easy to softmod, and the PS2 easy to chip or use a mod swap disc, so it isn't so important I suppose.
Yup, that must be it... still, I somehow don't feel that way with getting any newer consoles since Dreamcast came out... these days I don't even play that much... :/
Oh well, maybe one day. (Whatever it will be, a 100% working emulator or a real console )
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up