Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Hollywood
Puni/Void 20:07 1st July 2009
Hi everyone,

I've been reading a bit about a development tool called Hollywood lately. I was therefore wondering if any of you are using it? If yes, what is your experience with it? If I'm going to purchase it, I'm going to use it for small utilities, demostyle productions (packs, musicdisks) and possibly a simple game or two.

Thanks in advance for input.
[Reply]
Harrison 23:54 1st July 2009
Isn't Hollywood a multimedia application with a scripting language? Similar to Scala and Helm on the Amiga? And Director on the PC.

I remember reading about it when version 1 was being released and it sounded quite interesting. However I have already been using Macromedia/Adobe Director for years on the PC to create presentation, interactive kiosks and loads more and didn't really have the time to learn another similar program. Plus being on the Amiga I couldn't use it for anything other than personal stuff.

However if Hollywood does indeed offer similar functionality to Director but on the Amiga, then for Amiga development it would be a very good tool to buy and learn.

If you do get hold of the software please let me know how good it is and how you get on as I might be interested in giving it a try sometime.
[Reply]
Puni/Void 23:42 8th July 2009
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Isn't Hollywood a multimedia application with a scripting language? Similar to Scala and Helm on the Amiga? And Director on the PC.

I remember reading about it when version 1 was being released and it sounded quite interesting. However I have already been using Macromedia/Adobe Director for years on the PC to create presentation, interactive kiosks and loads more and didn't really have the time to learn another similar program. Plus being on the Amiga I couldn't use it for anything other than personal stuff.

However if Hollywood does indeed offer similar functionality to Director but on the Amiga, then for Amiga development it would be a very good tool to buy and learn.

If you do get hold of the software please let me know how good it is and how you get on as I might be interested in giving it a try sometime.
I'm planning to order a copy. I'll let you know when I've installed it. After what I've read today, Hollywood seems capable of creating everything from games to utilities. Since AMOS doesn't work on either Amiga OS 4.1 or AROS, Hollywood could perhaps function as a replacement.
[Reply]
Harrison 01:05 9th July 2009
Do you use Amiga OS 4.1? And is Hollywood compatible with AROS?
[Reply]
Puni/Void 13:54 9th July 2009
My intention was to get hold of SAM to be able to run 4.1. Unfortunately the machine proved to be too expensive for me. I know others feel the same. I even sold some of my older Amiga stuff to afford it.

My eyes are now looking towards AROS instead. The plan is therefore to use Hollywood on Amiga 68K and AROS.

Hollywood is compatible with AROS. It's a fantastic tool, as you can compile your productions for all Amiga platforms. Say you make a small presentation in Hollywood on your AROS-system. You can then compile it to work on MorphOS, AmigaOS 4.1 or the classic range. Quite a nice feature in my opinion.
[Reply]
Harrison 15:09 9th July 2009
That does sound useful. It is similar in a way to Adobe Director. In that you could compile the final project for the PC or Mac.

Is there a demo version of Hollywood available, or is is buy only? Would be interesting to have a play around with it.
[Reply]
Puni/Void 16:06 9th July 2009
Originally Posted by Harrison:
That does sound useful. It is similar in a way to Adobe Director. In that you could compile the final project for the PC or Mac.

Is there a demo version of Hollywood available, or is is buy only? Would be interesting to have a play around with it.
There's no demo version of Hollywood available.

The author states the following on his website concerning a demo:

"Unfortunately there is no demo version available for download. The reason for this is that all the demo versions of my other programs were cracked and I do not want this to happen with Hollywood, too. So there will be only screenshots available to demonstrate how powerful Hollywood is. Thanks for your understanding."
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up