Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Game music featured in commercial tracks
Cortona 19:29 22nd June 2009
We're all familiar with Amiga games, demos and music disks with music containing samples, but a YouTube video I saw today made me wonder about the reverse: can you think of any commercial music that includes game or demo music?

Here's one that uses the theme from Simon the Sorcerer:
Monkeys from Hell - Wizard. Jolly techno-pop with a slightly disturbing video!

Taking it to the extreme is the awful Tetris by Doctor Spin, an entire song based on the game music.

And of course there are Machinae Supremacy's Sidology I, II and III tracks.

Any others?
[Reply]
Teho 21:55 22nd June 2009
There are some fairly well known examples of bands ripping off game music. If they'd just bothered to credit the original they'd get away with calling it cover versions, but no. Best known from Amiga is probably Dimmu Borgir's Sorgens Kammer, which is the Agony theme. Another well known from the C64 is Zombie Nation's Kernkraft 400, which uses a very recognisable Lazy Jones melody line.
[Reply]
woody.cool 09:03 23rd June 2009
Recently, I've seen adverts for a Happy Hardocre album 'Bonkers' on the TV.
One of the tracks is the Pac-Man tune

Originally Posted by Teho:
Another well known from the C64 is Zombie Nation's Kernkraft 400, which uses a very recognisable Lazy Jones melody line.
I was thinking of that tune as well.

Originally Posted by Cortona:
Taking it to the extreme is the awful Tetris by Doctor Spin, an entire song based on the game music.
Although he wont admit it, Andrew Lloyd Webber was hevily involved in this track.
[Reply]
Sharingan 21:54 14th June 2010
I've heard the Metal Gear Solid theme and Resident Evil music in some television shows. Always entertaining to recognise them, though 99% of people probably don't.
[Reply]
Harrison 12:16 15th June 2010
It is great to suddenly recognise a game tune/theme in something else. I can't think of any off the top of my head though.

BTW, I remember that Tetris song... that was horrible.
[Reply]
hipoonios 20:39 10th September 2010
Turrican by Scooter.
[Reply]
Teho 18:48 11th September 2010
Oh, that's right. How could I have forgotten. Scooter has indeed a song called Level One which is a cool remix of the song Freedom from Turrican 2. Scooter's song is properly credited and they even asked Hülsbeck if it was okay first, so this one is an example of how to do it right for a change.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up