Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: The Big Top 40 Show
Stephen Coates 11:26 14th June 2009
(s)Hit40UK has finally been scrapped, but it doesn't sound like its replacement will be much better.

The chart is now based on iTunes only. So I do wonder, why don't they just call it the iTunes Chart?

Also, any songs downloaded before 6PM on Sunday will still be counted in this weeks chart, so you can influence the chart whilst it is on.

I don't really pay any attention to the charts any more as most of the music I like doesn't do very well in the charts. I will certainly be ignoring this one though if I want any statistics.
[Reply]
Bloodwych 10:12 15th June 2009
Sounds a bit daft how they've changed it. Like yourself, I don't really follow the charts any more - just buy what I like, but since I'm getting on a bit now I tend to listen to more older stuff.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 12:23 15th June 2009
Here is an interesting website which compares the official chart with the 'iTunes' chart:

http://www.ukpopcharts.co.uk/
[Reply]
woody.cool 13:17 15th June 2009
'The charts'? ...... what's that?
[Reply]
Harrison 00:46 16th June 2009
They changed the official top 40 chart last year to only relate to download sales though, so surely this is very old news?

However I also pay singles charts no time either. They have been pointless and worthless since the mid 90's in my view. These days mostly filled with lift musak! The album charts are a better reflection of the music people are really listening to in the mainstream. But even then it doesn't reflect the true diversity of music being released. For that you have to explore and experiment with different genres. Only then will you really enjoy music and find something you really enjoy.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 01:29 16th June 2009
Originally Posted by Harrison:
They changed the official top 40 chart last year to only relate to download sales though, so surely this is very old news?
That is true, but now, rather than the chart only counting music sold until the end of saturday or whenever it was, the top 10 can be influenced by music downloaded up till 6pm on Sunday. So if it has enough downloads, a song which is quite low down in the charts could potentialy be in the top 10 an hour or two later.

Also, I'm not sure where the previous download statistics came from. Last year, I only heard them say 'downloads', but now they make it very clear that it is iTunes only.

nb. Harrison, it was only the hit40uk chart that went to downloads only, and not the official UK singles chart.

For some reason, everywhere advertised the change to downloads only as the chart 'going digital'. I think some people need to learn about how a CD works.

I downloaded my first single a few months ago, but I got that from Amazon, so I've no idea whether my download will have been counted in the charts or not. I bought the album as a CD soon after though. When I downloaded the single from Amazon, they recomended that I saved it in the 'My Music' folder.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up