Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4
Thread: Nice small utility for Desktop icons
Harrison 11:05 16th June 2009
I hate loads of icons on the desktop. Like to keep it to a minimum if possible with just Computer, Network and Recycle Bin on there all of the time, and then I put other files and folders on the desktop while I'm working with them, and then move them into another drive when finished.

My wife's laptop's desktop is a complete mess though. When I use it I can't find anything on there. The whole desktop is filled with icons from everything she has installed. But she seems to like it that way. Quite funny when she has installed something new then has to spend a couple of minutes hunting for the new icon!
[Reply]
Shoonay 14:16 16th June 2009
Originally Posted by Harrison:
I hate loads of icons on the desktop. Like to keep it to a minimum if possible [...]
Yup, same here.

I always feel sorry for all those poor computers my friends have... you click on the Start button and can see 823764827364 different shortcuts to programs, you look at the desktop and see 817236 different icons... sad.

I remember one guy posting once a screenshot of his desktop on some forums and asking for help if anyone could find his school project, lol
[Reply]
Harrison 14:32 16th June 2009
That is funny.

Start menus are also a nightmare on most PCs that is true. Most people don't seem to understand that you can rearrange and change what is in the start menu. The first thing I do is create some sub folders for Games, Applications and Utilities, and then they can all be files away for easy finding.
[Reply]
Bloodwych 15:32 16th June 2009
Startmenu spam and desktop spam are one of the disaster areas of Windows. Another strange thing that has never been addressed.

Program writers just dump stuff all over the place and if you move it around you can't uninstall without tidying up the shortcuts too as the uninstaller can't find them.

Some programs use folders; some don't; some have massively long names that expand the startmenu half way across the screen......UGH! Messy, messy messy.

As you guys have said however - most people just don't care and can live with the chaos!
[Reply]
Harrison 15:50 16th June 2009
Or in most cases, they just don't realise these things can be altered and changed.
[Reply]
xpect 17:26 16th June 2009
Originally Posted by Bloodwych:
as the uninstaller can't find them.
Just a note about an awesome and free tool that indeed works to uninstall programs! I'm using it during the last year and it do wonders on this matter:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/
[Reply]
Bloodwych 17:55 16th June 2009
Wow, thanks xpect I've never seen that before. Looks like a great tool!
[Reply]
Shoonay 17:59 16th June 2009
Originally Posted by xpect:
Originally Posted by :
64 bit operating systems are NOT supported!

[Reply]
xpect 18:32 16th June 2009
Originally Posted by Shoonay:
Originally Posted by xpect:
Originally Posted by :
64 bit operating systems are NOT supported!
Yes and I wonder how it installed in Windows XP x64... Even moar
[Reply]
Shoonay 18:33 16th June 2009
lol, really? alrighty then i'll try it :]

seems to work, i guess, now to wait a few months...
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4
Up