Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4
Thread: Notebook brands
Demon Cleaner 14:16 5th June 2009
I'm thinking about getting a new notebook, don't know why yet, but I have the feeling I must buy one Which brands are still good, or top quality? Is Samsung good?

I also thought about the ASUS 1000HE netbook with almost 10 hours of battery life, but then again, the 10" is nice, but is it really not annoying when you use it 80% of the time for internet, and the screen is so small?

Does anyone know a good model? What I want is a 15" screen capable of a resolution higher then 1280x... preferrably 1440x900, so I won't need a 17". And I also want that the battery lasts at least 3 hours, otherwise I can also keep my old one and only put more RAM.

What do you think?
[Reply]
Tiago 16:41 5th June 2009
I feel the same ... don't know why, but i also need one....

in my case 90% of the time will be for internet.
I only need:
-internet/mail
-basic excel
-ftp software
-basic image editor

i think almost all notebooks do it...
about the screen... isn't 15" consider laptop instead of notebook? isn't notebook maximum 10"/11" ?
[Reply]
Harrison 16:44 5th June 2009
Long battery life is something only the small netbook and notebook models can offer. Larger screen laptops tend to also have faster processors and more powerful graphics cards, and so drain the batteries.

Will you want it to run games? Or just internet and the odd emulator? I can do you a little list of current models to look at later.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 18:28 5th June 2009
Basically only internet, and perhaps some emulators. It won't be used for gaming at all I think. But then it also has to be less than 1.000€, I don't want to spend too much money for a laptop only used for interneting.

I would get a netbook, if it only was for internet, but you know, if after 1 year I want to use it for another purpose, I'm kinda stuck. So preferrably I want to buy just a new laptop, but of course not too expensive, as I don't need it. The only one who uses my older laptop atm is my girlfriend, and that's only for internet. Mainly I'm buying it for her.

Specs should be:

- dual core
- 4GB RAM (or between 2-4)
- HDD min 200GB
- decent GPU, not onboard
- resolution 1440x900 (or more)
- screen 15" 16:10 (wanted a 17", but I still have a very nice 15" laptop bag which hasn't been used once , and if the display is at least 1440x900, I don't have to scroll too much)
- HDMI
- DVD Burner, no BluRay player
- not more than 3.5kg
- battery life more than 3 hours
[Reply]
Submeg 23:26 5th June 2009
Hey guys long time no see! And it is related to laptops so I thought this a fitting thread to return on!

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy an ACER. They have the worst customer service, they treat you like shit and don't tell you anything about what's going on if your laptop needs to be repaired. My sis had one, and 6 MONTHS AGO it died. Now, my dad and I were pretty sure it was either the HD crashed or the unit overheated and fried the motherboard, we both weren't there when it happen. However, we sent it off SIX MONTHS AGO and FINALLY they have said "oh it was the battery", which personally, I think is a load of B*llsh1t. So "supposedly" she will be getting it back next week, which is why I haven't been here, she has been using my other laptop which has classicamiga as it's homepage. I've been using my other laptop, which I wanted to use soley for music for doing stuff on the net. Not happy!
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 08:00 6th June 2009
I think if I were to get a new laptop, I would be tempted by something from IBM/Lenovo.

But I have no plans of getting a new one so I'm not really sure who is best. It does seem that far too many laptops have blue LEDs though.
[Reply]
Submeg 00:26 7th June 2009
Oh I recommend HP. HP have been really good, the laptop is good and the customer support is excellent.
[Reply]
Harrison 11:24 7th June 2009
I would avoid HP/Compaq because while their build quality it pretty good, their screens have never been that great and the battery life has never been that good either. But the biggest problem is that all HP/Compaq laptops anyone I've known has owned have all developed the same identical fault. The PSU blocks failing and the power connector at the back of the machine burning and melting and requiring a new motherboard!

As for Acer. I really like Acer laptops, but they never have good battery life, so maybe those should be ruled out if you really do need a long battery life.

From the main makes I would recommend Asus. At the moment they are creating some nice systems and it is worth looking at their range. And while expensive Sony do still make some of the nicest designed and built systems with some very nice screens.

I will look up some actual models for you on Monday and post you a list to look at.
[Reply]
woody.cool 10:13 8th June 2009
Originally Posted by Submeg:
Oh I recommend HP. HP have been really good, the laptop is good and the customer support is excellent.
I swear by HP .... never had a bad product from them.

Originally Posted by Harrison:
I would avoid HP/Compaq because while their build quality it pretty good, their screens have never been that great and the battery life has never been that good either. But the biggest problem is that all HP/Compaq laptops anyone I've known has owned have all developed the same identical fault. The PSU blocks failing and the power connector at the back of the machine burning and melting and requiring a new motherboard!
I've never had that problem with my HP & Cmmpaq laptops!
The only thing I don't like about HP and Compaq machines, is all the crap they pre-load on the machine.
I spent an hour removing everything when I got mine new (about a year and a half ago)
[Reply]
Submeg 10:53 9th June 2009
Originally Posted by woody.cool:
Originally Posted by Submeg:
I swear by HP .... never had a bad product from them.

Originally Posted by Harrison:
I've never had that problem with my HP & Cmmpaq laptops!
The only thing I don't like about HP and Compaq machines, is all the crap they pre-load on the machine.
I spent an hour removing everything when I got mine new (about a year and a half ago)
Yep HP rock.

ASUS....hmmm. Well just have to say, I HATE THE KEYBOARD. It's too fiddly, sometimes it doesn't register you have pressed a key and you miss them often. Apart from that, they are ok
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4
Up