Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Poll: Are you thinking of buying AmigaOS 4.1 and/or compatible hardware?
Are you thinking of buying AmigaOS 4.1 and/or compatible hardware?
  • View Poll Results

1 2
    Thread: Are you thinking of buying AmigaOS 4.1 and compatible hardware?
    outlawal2 01:33 21st January 2010
    I am going to wait and see what happens with the X1000...

Here's hoping it isn't Amiga's version of the Lisa... !
    [Reply]
    Puni/Void 21:50 7th May 2010
    Originally Posted by Harrison:
    However, it is still an OS4 system, and I can imagine it will be great to finally be able to try the OS out for real. Did you ditch the Mac Mini idea?

When you get the SAM please post some pictures? I would love to see it up and running.
    Yes, I ditched the idea of a Mac Mini. The SAM works fine for most tasks, so I don't really need the extras in the Mac. Also have a PC laptop beside this.

Sure thing. Will take a few photos of the machine tomorrow.
    [Reply]
    Phantom 22:24 7th May 2010
    I've got a Sam440ep Flex @ 800MHz, because it's the only solution to run AmigaOS 4.x nowadays.

The board, let's say it's a simple board, but very overpriced of what it offers, that's sadly true.

I hope with the new AmigaOne X1000, things will change to better of course.
    [Reply]
    Harrison 04:24 8th May 2010
    It is the overpriced hardware which has always stopped me buying into OS4.

Is it just because of limited production runs and high fabrication costs? Surely these boards could be made for much less.
    [Reply]
    woody.cool 14:23 8th May 2010
    Originally Posted by Harrison:
    Surely these boards could be made for much less.
    Totally agree!
    The main reason I've not not got AmigaOS 4.x compatible hardware is that it's priced so high, not to mention, well beyond my budget at the moment.
    Surely we're just paying for the name here

It's 'outdated' hardware to an extent, as it's a PPC CPU running at speeds that have long since surpassed. Am I right? (please correct me if not!)

Once an affordable solution is available, I may consider it ....... but saying that, I'm also hoping that the NatAmi project will come on in leaps and bounds as that's of more interest to me than AmigaOS 4.x compatible hardware.
    [Reply]
    AndyLandy 14:31 8th May 2010
    I think I'm in agreement with the rest of you here. I'd love to have an OS4 system, but not when it costs £400-odd for a PowerPC G4 system that's <1GHz.
    [Reply]
    Phantom 15:03 8th May 2010
    You're both right. Let's say that, for the money you give for such a board, it's totally crap.
    [Reply]
    Tags:Array
    1 2
    Up