Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: DAPHNE
Harrison 02:03 9th February 2007
I hadn't updated my copy of the Laserdisc Emulator, DAPHNE for some time, but after Submeg mentioned Dragon's Lair I ended up looking at the emulators site and discovered a new version which has some nice additions.

Key among these additions is directly endorsed support from Digital Leisure, the company that own the rights to the games Dragon's Lair, Dragon's Lair II, Space Ace and Thayer's Quest.

The new version of the DAPHNE emulator now has automatic updating when a new version is released, and even better it now has its own torrent client built in that connects to the Daphne Loader Tracker and automatically downloads the 4 games mentioned above for you if it doesn't find the game files when you first try to run the games from the emulator.

So if you are a big Dragon's Lair fan you don't have to worry about the legalities of running an emulator and a copy of Dragon's Lair because now with this latest version of DAPHNE you can legally do this for free.

Go to http://www.daphne-emu.com to download the emulator and get started.

Enjoy
[Reply]
Submeg 02:06 9th February 2007
I just downoaded it, what files do I need to run DL? do I need roms or anything?
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 07:48 9th February 2007
Look at pleasuredome for the Laserdisc torrent, very big one. It doesn't contain Dragon's Lair 1&2 and Space Ace though. And if I'm right, this torrent is also free!!

So there's a new version of Daphne released? Have to check that at home, websensed here.

EDIT: I see.
Originally Posted by :
This version features full, Digital Leisure approved, automatic downloads of Dragon´s Lair, Dragon´s Lair 2, Space Ace, and Thayer´s Quest! No more dvd2daph, no more framefiles, no more configuration! Just select the game you want and click Start.

[Reply]
Harrison 16:17 9th February 2007
Ad DC mentioned, you can download most of the supported Laserdisc files needed for Daphne to run most of it's games from Pleasuredome. It is a huge file though so will take some time to download.

But you can get hold of the 4 games it legally supports, including Dragon's Lair by just running the emulator and nothing more. When you first load the emulator, try to start Dragon's Lair. The emulator will inform you that the files were not found and it will then connect to the internet and to it's own torrent tracker to download the game for you. It has its own built in bit torrent client so does it all for you. It shows progress bars of the download as it takes place and from the Daphne menus you can see more detailed information about the downloads as they are taking place.

The Daphne supported game downloads will also take some time to download as they total about 4GB in size, but it is well worth the wait as you are getting a faithfully emulated version of the games that are legally supported by the copyright owners.
[Reply]
Submeg 20:22 9th February 2007
4GB? For all of the games? Cant I just select the ones I want?
[Reply]
Harrison 20:26 9th February 2007
No, 4GB is just for the 4 games that get directly downloaded through the emulator itself. For the full set of Laserdisc games the emulator supports the total filesize is much bigger.

Don't forget that these games are using streaming video from laserdiscs originally. Daphne get around this by having a copy of the laserdisc videos stored as MPEG2 files that it uses instead of a real laserdisc. These video files are very big, hence the size of the downloads.
[Reply]
Submeg 20:29 9th February 2007
Ok, well I just want to run DL at the moment, so that should be ok
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 20:35 9th February 2007
The Laserdisc torrent at pleasuredome is 25.43 GB and it's free. So I guess there's no better chance than grabbing it here.
Attached: Daphne Laserdisc MPEGs and Roms.zip (256.6 KB)
[Reply]
Submeg 03:45 10th February 2007
I wish I had that kind of space on my laptop...
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up