Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Ridiculous piracy warnings on the Amiga
AlexJ 19:36 8th February 2007
While scanning in The Chaos Engine's manual for the site I came across this warning:

WTF? Backing up the disk may destroy it? It's illegal to make a back up? Both news to me!

Anyone know of any other games or applications on Amiga that had as or perhaps even more ridiculous warnings of what might happen if you tried copying the disk?
[Reply]
v85rawdeal 19:46 8th February 2007
It may not quite bear the same relevance, but I do remember one of the Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge games having a subliminal message in the title music...

The message was "You will not copy this game...".

I found this out after ripping the music from my version... which just goes to show that it didn't work...

Nice try, though... I still have the sample somewhere!!!
[Reply]
AlexJ 19:57 8th February 2007
Yeah I remember finding that out a few years back. Never noticed it before, because I played on a Mono TV mostly. It's very noticeable in stereo through headphones though.

Sample attached (zipped .wav file).
Attached: lotus_will_not_copy_ca.zip (8.8 KB)
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 08:56 9th February 2007
I'm sure, that out there in our big world, were a lot of people, that didn't try copying the disks whilst reading the warning, assuming it would really destroy their original. Perhaps some amigas had a built in shredder.
[Reply]
Submeg 08:59 9th February 2007
Well the drive seemed to eat through some of my disks.....I remember thinking, "I should back Wings up..." and then grrrrrrrn.......disk gone.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 09:02 9th February 2007
The drive made indeed some weird and eerie noises, sometimes I really thought it would shred the disks to dust.
[Reply]
Submeg 09:12 9th February 2007
Yea I know I almost cried when it chewed my Wings...I had just completed 90 missions....without dying....
[Reply]
Teho 15:10 9th February 2007
Actually, that the drives sometimes really chewed your disk is kind of half true. Many game and demo programmers coded their own trackloaders, or floppy controllers if you will. And the way many of these treated the disks and the drive wasn't very healthy at all.
[Reply]
Harrison 19:16 9th February 2007
Amiga floppy drives were definitely the noisiest of any system I have ever encountered. If you access a floppy disk in a PC it can hardly be heard most of the time. In comparison the loading of a game in any Amiga was very audible to say the least, but then that was half the charm of the system. I personally loved the chugging and grinding sounds as the disks loaded.
[Reply]
Submeg 19:33 9th February 2007
Until it spat it out and went "wtf was that? Oh well its corrupted now...MWAHAHA!"
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up