Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Arthur C. Clarke books
Tiago 17:26 19th March 2009
Did you read any book of Arthur C Clarke?

so far, I read:
-2001: A Space Odyssey
-2010: Odyssey Two
-2061: Odyssey Three
-Rendezvous with Rama
-Rama II

so far all the books were great !
but they are not easy to find here in Portugal. I had to order 2061: Odyssey Three from UK...

the Space Odyssey books are much better then the films (they did 2001 and 2010), Usually book vs movie, book wins... in my point of view... and this is a big example.

Did you know that in the 2001 movie they went to Jupiter when in the book they went to Saturn? I think kubic had some tecnical problems to create the rings of saturn so they changed to jupiter, later, books 2 and 3 assume that they went to Jupiter and not saturn. I must read the 4th.

Rama saga is also excellent. in resume earth discovers that a huge cilinder with 50km is passing thru our solar system...
[Reply]
Harrison 17:37 19th March 2009
Yes I've read a few including the 2001 series. Great author.

Richter 10 is quite good too.
[Reply]
Teho 17:42 19th March 2009
As the matter of fact I ordered the four Odyssey books just a few days ago, they're still in the post. I read the first one and also 2010 I think many years ago, borrowed them from the library here. Also read one other back then that I can't recall the name of or what was really about, other than that it had something to do with pentominoes. I remember I used to try and solve the 3x20 one when just doodling idly while bored in class. Meaning it really is quite a few years ago since I read it. Look forward to reading those Odyssey books.
[Reply]
Buleste 09:15 20th March 2009
I've read all the odyssey books including 3001 which whilst being the weakest from a scientific point of view is still very interesting.
[Reply]
Tiago 09:45 20th March 2009
i read the first 3, i have to order the 3001.

But Rama series is also very good, and also 4 books.
[Reply]
Ghost 20:42 20th March 2009
Hi guys,

Sorry I haven't been around lately on the forum.

Only Rendezvous with Rama which was a pretty good story involving a BDO.

I understand the rest of the series is piss poor compared to the original.
[Reply]
Tiago 22:26 20th March 2009
Originally Posted by Ghost:
Hi guys,

Sorry I haven't been around lately on the forum.

Only Rendezvous with Rama which was a pretty good story involving a BDO.

I understand the rest of the series is piss poor compared to the original.

Rendezvous with Rama is very good,
Rama II is also very good in my opinion, book 3 and 4 didn't read yet but yes, it's not so good for what people say
[Reply]
Teho 12:31 21st March 2009
Originally Posted by Teho:
Also read one other back then that I can't recall the name of or what was really about, other than that it had something to do with pentominoes.
Quoting myself, because I discovered that by simply scrolling down on that very same article I linked to, you learn that the book I'm talking about is Imperial Earth.

Checked out the plot synopsis and it really doesn't ring any bells, other than the whole pentominoes thing. I really enjoyed puzzles back then and found that one fascinating at the time. I'm sure I read through it even though I must have struggled with it as my english wasn't all that great in those days, because I also remember this as being the first book I read in english.
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 08:14 29th March 2009
Really enjoyed the 2001 series but haven't read the Rama stuff.
Also read a lot of his short stories.
Got a book called The Collected Stories.
It is top notch.
[Reply]
Niagara 12:12 29th March 2009
I read one but can't remember the title. Something about a new earth i think.
It was the first book i bought for myself. Before that i didn't like reading, after that i had years of reading fun!
It's the book that got me into reading.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up