Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Poll: I left the Amiga scene because...
I left the Amiga scene because...
  • View Poll Results

1 2 3 4 5 6
    Thread: What made you leave the Amiga scene?
    Harrison 00:13 6th March 2009
    Originally Posted by Stephen Coates:
    I never did leave it.
    But Steve, you completely missed the Amiga days! Quite unique to be born after the fact and still become a fan of a retro platform. So in a way you were never in it, but instead came back to the scene but for the first time. Kind of like a Star Trek paradox.

I can imagine it is a two sided experience becoming a fan of the Amiga after the fact. On the one hand everything to do with the Amiga as a platform is complete and the whole history of the system is there for you to explore. A bit like any of us retro fans exploring some other retro systems we didn't personally own or use back in the day. But at the same time the contrast is true, with you having missed the actual Amiga years, so never experiencing the system when it was new, and as it evolved. Experiencing the genre breaking games and software as they were launched, and seeing the developers get more and more out of the system over the years.
    [Reply]
    Demon Cleaner 01:24 6th March 2009
    I even can't remember why I sold my Amiga for a PC. But it's not in the poll options
    [Reply]
    thirtywinter 16:37 6th March 2009
    Originally Posted by Harrison:
    Originally Posted by thirtywinter:
    That being said, Tie Fighter beat the crap out of X-Wing when that was released.
    Definitely. Tie-Fighter was a brilliant game, and still is. I bought the re-released Gold edition that contained both X-Wing and Tie-Fighter in 1998, with both games having been enhanced, and the X-Wing version updated to use the Tie-Fighter game engine. Was a great box to get.

And then there was X-Wing Alliance which allowed you to pilot a whole series of freighters from the Millennium Falcon range of ships. That was a great game too.

Gone a bit off topic I know, but the X-Wing series of games were great. And it is about time they made a new one. Imagine one now with current PC hardware.
    Totally agreed on that one. That would be mindblowing if they did. I can't even imagine...

I also bought the gold edition and still have the discs stored very safely. I also seem to remember the package also containing the X-Wing Alliance discs as well.. ? At least I know I have them, just never got around to actually play them. For shame! For shame!
    [Reply]
    Harrison 17:16 6th March 2009
    Alliance might run on current PCs as it was Windows 98 and Direct X based. I will have to see. Would be cool to get it running on a newer PC.
    [Reply]
    sarek2k 17:18 6th March 2009
    I guess many of us have a similar story ie DOOM it's ironic i now hate that type of game.

At the time i had to sell my Amiga stuff to get a Pc and with many tales of woe it wasn't an easy introduction, i had more than my fair share of failed Pc hardware (Why was i the unlucky one who always bought the ****ed piece of hardware) Hard drives/motherboards you name it i've had a ****ed version of it.

I came back to Amiga cause of great forums like this winuae and then of course real Amiga hardware.

I should probably use it more than i do
    [Reply]
    my_lo 07:13 9th March 2009
    I sold my amiga 1200 in 1992 because i was entering university (computer programming) and i needed to have a PC but i didn't have enough money to buy it, so the A1200 filled the gap. I always regretted it and i still do.
    Emulation is now my way to enjoy it again...

It's also the same story with the C64 that i sold to buy an AMIGA 500, which i sold to buy my AMIGA 1200. If i could go back in time, i'd keep my C64 and my A1200 but, even if the feeling isn't the same, i love the idea to have all my favourite platforms running on the same computer: AMIGA, C64, SNES and my PC games
    [Reply]
    Stephen Coates 17:22 9th March 2009
    Originally Posted by Stephen Coates:
    I never did leave it.
    But Steve, you completely missed the Amiga days! Quite unique to be born after the fact and still become a fan of a retro platform. So in a way you were never in it, but instead came back to the scene but for the first time. Kind of like a Star Trek paradox.
    You never specified dates in the poll
    [Reply]
    Graham Humphrey 18:40 9th March 2009
    I've never left it either. I've been into it since I was very young and it's always been there really. I guess as a result there is almost no nostalgia in it for me whatsoever.
    [Reply]
    thirtywinter 20:22 9th March 2009
    Alliance might run on current PCs as it was Windows 98 and Direct X based. I will have to see. Would be cool to get it running on a newer PC.
    Actually I found myself so intrigued I had to go find those CD's again. Let's see...

* blows dust off sleeves *

Tie Fighter Collector's CD-Rom Windows 95/98
    X-Wing Collectors CD-Rom Windows 95/98
    X-Wing Alliance (2 CD) Windows 95/98

Yay! I think I might be in business. If worst comes to worst I'll just boot up on the XP partition and I *should* be good.

So X-wing Alliance is worth the time then? I remember thinking it just looked like a rail shooter. (Which is why I never bothered to try it)

And heey! What is this.. an old favorite... Star Wars Rebellion. Ah.. Used to love that game.. Although not so fond of the end game where you would sometimes find yourself hunting down one or two characters across the whole galaxy...

Anyhoo.. enough reminiscing.. I might have to try a couple of installs after I have paid my dues to UG... hehe
    [Reply]
    Harrison 00:25 10th March 2009
    I had to lookup SW Rebellion as I didn't know the game name, and here in the UK is was called Star Wats Supremacy, and I've got that version. Great game and a good Star Wars themed RTS. There was a similar Star Trek RTS called Birth of the Federation that I really enjoyed too.
    [Reply]
    Tags:Array
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    Up