Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Poll: Is it OK to copy/download commercial Amiga games?
Is it OK to copy/download commercial Amiga games?
  • View Poll Results

1 2
    Thread: Do you think it is OK to copy/download commercial Amiga games?
    Agram 21:04 8th August 2010
    As the original rights holders haven't put any/much effort into preserving their back catalogues, I'd say piracy has ended up being a valuable trait. Allowing for the preservation of software from rich companies like EA, all the way down the spectrum to a single individual developer (can't think of any to reference).

So even if piracy was detrimental to companies at the time, it's now turned out to be the historical saviour of games long forgotten by the rights holder.

A few years back I contacted a few developers/publishers suggesting a service similar to iTunes. Were a WinUAE configured game could be bought for one £/$/euro. Suffice to say none replied and I'm not aware of any such service getting made.
    [Reply]
    Harrison 02:01 14th August 2010
    I forget the name of the site, but there is now a company that releases old PC games for download at reasonable prices. They package the games with all up to date bug fixes already applied and update them so they run on current OSs. It's only PC but it is similar to your idea.
    [Reply]
    Phantom 15:48 18th November 2010
    Oh sh1t...

I thought new Amiga commercial games, that's why I voted the 4th option. Apologies... but in this matter I will go for the first too.
    [Reply]
    Harrison 11:46 19th November 2010
    I will change your vote for you to the 1st.
    [Reply]
    Phantom 12:19 19th November 2010
    Oh... Thanks m8.
    [Reply]
    burns flipper 12:00 21st June 2011
    Originally Posted by Harrison:
    I forget the name of the site, but there is now a company that releases old PC games for download at reasonable prices. They package the games with all up to date bug fixes already applied and update them so they run on current OSs. It's only PC but it is similar to your idea.
    gog.com
    [Reply]
    poundrick 08:49 8th August 2011
    I remember being in School and buying a hundred Amiga Floppys at a time via the post full of Amiga games and all of my mates at School spending hours copying disks with X-Copy using multiple external disk drives, I did all them years ago have over 1000 disks full of games. I am the complete opposite now I suppose im a collector and love nothing better than owning the original boxed version of a game, it just feel so much better to actually open a box take out the proper printed disks and play games that way.

I must admit thought I have just bought an A1200 with WHDload and must admit the games are more enjoyable played off the hard drive without all of the disk swapping.
    [Reply]
    beejack 17:29 4th September 2011
    I must Admit I tend to agree with the masses. If the games are no longer being sold then It's OK.
    [Reply]
    Tags:Array
    1 2
    Up