Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5
Thread: Wii hacking?
Demon Cleaner 13:58 13th February 2009
As far as I'm informed:

- Burn ISO slowly (4x)
- Use good DVDs (DVD-R and do RWs)
- Don't use cheap burner

- For DL discs sat the layerbreak to 2084960 (Super Smash Bros. Brawl is the only game using DL so far)
- For DL discs DVD+R DL should be used, preferably Verbatim
[Reply]
Harrison 15:47 13th February 2009
And don't forget there is also the homebrew scene on the Wii, and installing the software mod installed the homebrew channel, which allows you to directly download emulators and homebrew games directly on the Wii.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 15:15 14th July 2009
Is this ALL you have to do when softmodding the Wii??

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtop...216&hl=softmod
[Reply]
Harrison 15:46 14th July 2009
As mentioned in the other thread, I don't think you need to use the save game exploits any more. Have a look at http://wiiguide.co.cc/ It is using something called a bannerbomb. As soon as you try to access the SD card with the software loaded on it the Wii tries to open a banner message and the code on the SD card uses this to launch itself and bomb the process and hack the Wii. Very smart if this method works.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 16:49 14th July 2009
I bought a Wii now and will try the method from the guide. Hopefully it will work.
[Reply]
Harrison 16:55 14th July 2009
Will be interested to know how it goes.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 12:19 15th July 2009
I tried it yesterday but unfortunately it didn't work, but I think the main reason is because I only had a 4GB SD card to test with, and 90% of the people say that it doesn't work with 4GB cards. And mine is also a SDHC card. You need the card to use the software, like the backup loader, on the Wii.

But I didn't give up, tried to fool the Wii. I formatted it to FAT16 with only 2GB free and 2GB of unallocated space, and Windows only showed the card as 2GB card. But again the Wii said that this card cannot be used.

Then I copied 3GB dummy files onto the card, thus shrinking the size, to fool it that way, but also that didn't work.

So today Oz brought me an SD card, but he only had one spare of 256MB. So now I don't know if the files that are copied on the card will fit, I think it's a bit more than 256MB. Anyway, I ordered two 2GB cards, I only have to wait until they arrive.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 15:58 15th July 2009
Ok, the 512MB is enough, as the files copied to it are only 23MB. Now waiting to go home and test it on the Wii.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 21:57 15th July 2009
Works like a charm and was very easy to install with that guide. So far I tested a GC backup and a Wii backup, and both worked fine. Only the Wii game having some slowdowns. Didn't test the homebrew yet as you have to connect to the internet. Downloading Madworld now to test, that's a newer game.

I used a patcher called WiiBrickBlocker for the iso of the game to prevent it from updating when started, as that may brick your console.

Thanks for the good tip to softmod Harrison, saved me 80€
[Reply]
Harrison 00:07 16th July 2009
You are welcome. Glad it worked. I've had a few different people tell me it worked fine when they tried it.

Makes me want to buy a Wii now. So far do you think the Wii was worth buying?

Have you also read the part in the guide about ripping games to HDD or SD card? It is possible to rip the game DVDs to an SD card or USB external HDD connected to the Wii and launch and play them from there. You could therefore connect a large external HDD and have all of the Wii games accessible at once from there. It is definitely someone I would want to try.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5
Up