Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Installer noob help
svebbe 19:07 5th February 2009
Been reading and searching but cant find a tut or awnser and Im getting a little frustraded so Ill thro a nooby quastion.

Im using WinUAE to set up a CF drive that I later will put in a A600 or A1200

Workbench 3.1 clean install is in.

I know that their is some realy nice prebuilds but I belive that by going from scratch I will have a greater understanding of the system in the end. (I like gentoo in the linux world )

So.. now I need to get something called the "installer" on my C something, this I have understod but not how.
Ive downloaded a Installer.iha from aminet unpacked and now I have alot of .c files and what not.
I was thinking that I just could copy this install program to my amiga in the WinUAE invierment, by mounting the unpacked install.iha directory, but starting to think that handling this "installer" thingi the wrong way.

Is their a good simple tut out there on how I can us WinUAE to put the "installer" thingi into my workbench 3.1 invierment.
[Reply]
woody.cool 19:59 5th February 2009
Originally Posted by svebbe:
Been reading and searching but cant find a tut or awnser and Im getting a little frustraded so Ill thro a nooby quastion.

Im using WinUAE to set up a CF drive that I later will put in a A600 or A1200

Workbench 3.1 clean install is in.

I know that their is some realy nice prebuilds but I belive that by going from scratch I will have a greater understanding of the system in the end. (I like gentoo in the linux world )

So.. now I need to get something called the "installer" on my C something, this I have understod but not how.
Ive downloaded a Installer.iha from aminet unpacked and now I have alot of .c files and what not.
I was thinking that I just could copy this install program to my amiga in the WinUAE invierment, by mounting the unpacked install.iha directory, but starting to think that handling this "installer" thingi the wrong way.

Is their a good simple tut out there on how I can us WinUAE to put the "installer" thingi into my workbench 3.1 invierment.
The Installer program is located on your Install 3.1 disk. You can put this on to your Workbench installation by opening a shell and typing

copy DF0:Installer C:

when you have the Install disk in your internal disk drive.

This will copy the Installer to your C: directory (usually assigned to SYS:C)
Make sure you do this by booting from your hard drive.
If you accidently boot from the floppy, substitute C: for DH0:C
[Reply]
Harrison 00:35 6th February 2009
While it is commendable to try and do everything from the ground up, and I agree that it would give you slightly more understanding of the workings of Workbench, I would instead recommend you just download and install one of the classicWB setups from http://classicwb.abime.net/

Each of the setups comes with an HDF (hardfile). This makes the process very easy.

1, connect the HD/CF card to the PC.
2, start WinUAE and add the HD/CF card as an HD from the harddrive tab.
3, add the Workbench 3.1 install disk to the Floppy Drive DF0: entry.
4, Set WinUAE up as an A1200 with a 68030 CPU (just so the process is faster)
5, Start the emulator and let it boot into Workbench.
6, Follow the HD setup guide in the CA Wiki here.
7, Once the HD is setup, close WinUAE and restart it.
8, Again set the HD/CF card up as an HD in the harddrive section. This time it will be formatted as an Amiga HD.
9, Add the ClassicWB HDF file as another HD in the harddrive section.
10, Add a Workbench 3.1 ADF to the Floppy Drive DF0: entry.
11, Boot WinUAE into Workbench. You should see the two HD icons.
12, Open a new cli/shell.
13, copy the complete contents of the classicWB HDF to the real HD/CF.
14, Once the copy is complete restart WinUAE. Make sure no floppy disks/adfs are in DF0: and that the real HD/CF is the only HD. Set WinUAE up as an A1200 and start the emulator.
15, The classicWB setup script should now run. Follow the instructions. It will ask for Workbench disks. Just press F12 when asked and add the required Workbench ADF to the Floppy drive ADF and continue the emulation until the setup is complete.
16, Once all is done you can reboot the Emulator using the HD/CF card and it should now boot into the setup ClassicWB installation ready for you to use and enjoy.

You may need some additional information for some of these steps. Please ask and I will expand the information.
[Reply]
svebbe 07:19 6th February 2009
Thanks y'all.

Will have myself a Amiga Weekend and try to get a greater understanding, or at least get my system up and running with lots and lots of games on it ^^
[Reply]
Buleste 09:52 6th February 2009
On 3.2 installer is in the Utilities folder. If you click on it and use the copy option in the menu then drag "copy_of_installer" to C and then rename it you'll be fine. You need to leave a copy in utilities just in case any programmes request for it from there.
[Reply]
woody.cool 21:16 6th February 2009
Originally Posted by Buleste:
On 3.2 installer is in the Utilities folder. If you click on it and use the copy option in the menu then drag "copy_of_installer" to C and then rename it you'll be fine. You need to leave a copy in utilities just in case any programmes request for it from there.
You don't need to have a second copy of Installer in SYS:Utilities ..... instead you can use the MakeLink command to automatically reference a dummy version of it in SYS:Utilities!
[Reply]
Buleste 10:45 7th February 2009
Originally Posted by woody.cool:
On 3.1 installer is in the Utilities folder. If you click on it and use the copy option in the menu then drag "copy_of_installer" to C and then rename it you'll be fine. You need to leave a copy in utilities just in case any programmes request for it from there.
You don't need to have a second copy of Installer in SYS:Utilities ..... instead you can use the MakeLink command to automatically reference a dummy version of it in SYS:Utilities!
I was merely thinking of the easiest way for a noob to do things. Of course if you want to go through the Makelink command for him then go ahead.
[Reply]
svebbe 13:29 7th February 2009
At least Ive got WHDLoad running.
But installing the games is going to take a loooooooong time. And what hurt me the most is that not .adf games seem to work. But Im on a good way to get my dream amiga going.
Ive also lokaded some missed hardware that I will probably get very cheap or possably free.

I was at a party yesterday and when one of the guys there heard how I was going to spend my saturday he was so excited and liked my passion so he was villing to give me lots of amiga hardware Just to keep the machines going.

He had a box full with original amiga mouse's, 7-8 tac-2's, a bunch of random joysticks, 5 amiga 500, 2 A1200, a C128 in original package and perfect condition. Good knows how many gamedisks, its was a amiga heaven I tell you

Later today I will probably move the CF card from PC to amiga and play some kickass games. If I feel that I have put enough games on the harddrive.

A little quastion regardning how WHDLoad works.
I have a partition where I put all my games, If I would like to backup this work, do I need to only backup this partition or do I also need to backup the partition where I have WHDLoad installed?
[Reply]
Buleste 14:03 7th February 2009
If you want preinstalled WHDload games try either http://www.whdownload.com/ or http://kgwhd.whdownload.com/. As for backups why not just place the download of WHDLoad onto the partition that has the games on and thenif anything goes pear shaped you just reinstall WHDLoad form your backup.
[Reply]
svebbe 10:47 8th February 2009
As for backups why not just place the download of WHDLoad onto the partition that has the games on and thenif anything goes pear shaped you just reinstall WHDLoad form your backup.
Aah of course, didn't think of that. will do.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up