Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Installer noob help
svebbe 16:16 8th February 2009
Okej, Im I missing something?

I have installed workbench 2.1 and got everything working great in WinUAE
Now I move the cf card to the amiga but it only start the kickstart, never seem to boot up CF harddrive.

Its a small slow CF card and a basic IDE to CF adapter, no big partitions original FFS.

Do I need further mods for it to Boot CF, or do I need to do some crazy "Left A + Right A + Ctrl" combo for it to boot?
Its a original A600, with kickstart 2.05 rev: 37.300
[Reply]
woody.cool 16:59 8th February 2009
Originally Posted by svebbe:
Okej, Im I missing something?

I have installed workbench 2.1 and got everything working great in WinUAE
Now I move the cf card to the amiga but it only start the kickstart, never seem to boot up CF harddrive.

Its a small slow CF card and a basic IDE to CF adapter, no big partitions original FFS.

Do I need further mods for it to Boot CF, or do I need to do some crazy "Left A + Right A + Ctrl" combo for it to boot?
Its a original A600, with kickstart 2.05 rev: 37.300
The original 37.300 ROM could only access hard drives up to a certain limit (something small like 40MB) ....... if your card is bigger than this, you'll probably need to upgrade to the 37.350 ROM
[Reply]
svebbe 07:21 9th February 2009
Originally Posted by woody.cool:
The original 37.300 ROM could only access hard drives up to a certain limit (something small like 40MB) ....... if your card is bigger than this, you'll probably need to upgrade to the 37.350 ROM
... So close the finish line. If I have understood the upgrading rom procedure its done with changing a rom chip. . ?

Anyways will go get myself a A1200 this week then for a retry this weekend with workbench 3 och 3.1 then.
[Reply]
woody.cool 07:53 9th February 2009
Originally Posted by svebbe:
... So close the finish line. If I have understood the upgrading rom procedure its done with changing a rom chip. . ?
Yep!
The Kickstart ROM chip is a socketed chip, so no soldering required.
Just remove the chip (with a chip extraction tool or similar) and replace with the upgraded version.
[Reply]
Harrison 08:13 9th February 2009
Yes, the limit for that KS2 rom is 40MB HD. Some have reported that with KS 37.300 will work with larger HDs if you set the first partition to 40MB, and then make the others 2GB or less. Might be worth trying.

BTW, a CF card basically has the same connections as an IDE HD, and the IDE to CF adapters are really just a pass through. So nothing in addition needed.
[Reply]
svebbe 09:11 10th February 2009
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Yes, the limit for that KS2 rom is 40MB HD. Some have reported that with KS 37.300 will work with larger HDs if you set the first partition to 40MB, and then make the others 2GB or less. Might be worth trying.
Will try this and report back to y'all. Otherwise I will try with a A1200 becouse of all the hassel of getting a KS 37.350 chip.
[Reply]
Harrison 09:25 10th February 2009
Remember that you can also use a Kickstart 3.1 rom in the A600. You would need the single chip version of the KS 3.1 rom, and this single KS3.1 rom chip is compatible with all of the following models: A500/A500+/A600/A1500/A2000.

Installing a KS 3.1 rom will allow you to use any sized HD, and also to installed WB 3.1 if you wished. However you obviously would still be limited by the ECS chipset in the A600 and not have access to AGA or the better graphics modes and colour depths.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up