Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4
Thread: Running out of HD space (again)
Stephen Coates 13:55 10th February 2009
I was actually thinking about getting SCSI HDs to put in my PC (bigger ones), but I did think I while ago about getting a bigger HD for my A500+. I'll probably see about getting something around 1GB as I can't imagine needing much more than that on a 500+.

Not used my A500+ much as it is currently sitting in a box . Must really get on with building a big desk to put all my computery stuff on.
[Reply]
Harrison 14:07 10th February 2009
Make sure you check what the maximum supported HD size is for the SCSI controller as I doubt the A500 controllers were designed for 1GB+ HDDs.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 14:26 10th February 2009
I had an IBM deskstar dying, and it ruined a lot of files, at that time I didn't have backups yet, so I never bought IBM disks again.
[Reply]
Harrison 14:33 10th February 2009
That's the thing. I don't think it matter what the make of HD is. If you have a bad experience with one you will always be less inclined to buy another from the same company.

I think IBM sold so many of the Deskstar models that it was going to look like they were failing more compared to other makes that didn't have the same market share. Same is true of games consoles. Look at how they tried to say the PS2 had a bad failure rate early on, and then when you actually looked at the sales figures compared to the console failures, it was less than 2%.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 15:30 10th February 2009
Originally Posted by Harrison:
That's the thing. I don't think it matter what the make of HD is. If you have a bad experience with one you will always be less inclined to buy another from the same company.
And that's with averything the same, cars, TVs, washing machine, photo camera... whatever.

And as I already told you, I will always buy Panasonic plasma TVs, because I am so happy with mine, but if it dies tomorrow, I will perhaps say just the opposite and never buy Panasonic Tvs again. People are sometimes stupid
[Reply]
Harrison 17:04 7th September 2009
Time to revive this old chestnut again. So how is everyone's HDD space holding up?

I have to say I'm getting close to running out again. My current HDD space is just over 8TB now but is near to full again!

My current HDD space is as follows:

Main PC = 120GB boot drive + 2x 500GB + 2x 1TB + 500GB external HDD = 3620GB

Emulation PC = 120GB boot drive + 3x 1TB = 3120GB

Download/Test server = 120GB boot drive + 200GB + 160GB = 480GB

NAS MP3 server = 500GB

Test PC = 60GB boot drive + 200GB = 260GB

Linux box = 200GB

Total storage space = 8180GB (about 8TB).
[Reply]
Tiago 17:11 7th September 2009

I have a 60GB Hd in my laptop, and also:

- 3,5 GB on Amiga 1200 Tower
- 2Gb in A1200
and other several HDs of 350Mb ; 1 GB etc...

total space +/- 70 Gb on more then 10 Hds...
and i still have in my laptop 10 GB available....

I dont store in harddrives Mp3 or Mpg/avi ... so i don't need to much space.
[Reply]
Harrison 23:00 7th September 2009
There is no way I could survive with just 70GB of total HDD space. I would use that up in less than a day! In fact, just installing Vista and the Adobe CS4 Master Collection would use about half of that space up alone!

I didn't even mention my Amiga space. A4000 = 60GB, A1200 = 40GB, A600 = 6GB. Total = 106GB. So there is some more to add to the total.

The thing that eats HDD space up more than anything else is rom collecting. Especially when you start to collect ISO CD sets as well. The complete Amiga collection if you include ADFs and ISOs is now around 400GB alone!
[Reply]
Tiago 09:53 8th September 2009
ISOs i have some in CD or DVD, but just the basic stuff.
[Reply]
xpect 14:05 8th September 2009
Originally Posted by Harrison:
The complete Amiga collection if you include ADFs and ISOs is now around 400GB alone!
And i always wondered how much a 880kb floppy could handle 20 years ago. Now Amiga stuff is GB's!!!

But i never run out of disc space because i backup everything on DVD. Now i'm running out of shelf space!!!
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4
Up