Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4
Thread: Snow
Harrison 14:02 3rd February 2009
Did you get any snow? How much?

Any pics to share with everyone?

We had a fair bit Sunday night in Chichester and the roads were not very good Monday morning. There were reports of loads of problems in the area. But the main roads were clear when we ventured out later in the day. Although going into Hampshire the roads were worse.

It snowed again Tuesday night but not as much and it's now started to melt

Here is a pic of the snowman we made. Plus one of the road by my parents house and some cool icicles.
Attached: snowman.jpg (33.9 KB) road.jpg (95.6 KB) icicles.jpg (83.0 KB)
[Reply]
Buleste 15:32 3rd February 2009
I was most disappointed. There was all this talk about tonnes and tonnes of snow and as where I live is at a fairly high altitude (one road near us has been known to be closed due to snow as late as June before now in a mild winter) I was expecting loads. We had a small amount Sunday night, Heavier snow falls at evening rush hour on the Monday night (@ Harrison. How did you predict that there was a lot of snow on the Tuesday night when you made the post on the Tuesday afternoon?) but it still only ended up as about 2 inches. (Dvorak's New World symphony playing in the background) When I were a lad in the mid to late 70's early 80's you used to be able to go to school through tunnels dug in the snow drifts. A heavy snow fall was measured in foot not inches. Personally I blame the southern Pansies for nicking all our snow and then not being able to cope wi' it as they wouldn't know what a 'ard days work trudging through t' snow i' like......(The reminiscing goes on for hours degrading into the "Four Yorkshiremen" Sketch from "At last the 1948 Show" with all four Yorkshiremen being played by the voices in Buleste's head.)
[Reply]
Harrison 16:20 3rd February 2009
OK typo. I meant Monday night.

And we used to have a lot more snow every year in the south too. I remember one year in the late 70's having enough to make an igloo in the front garden!
[Reply]
Tiago 17:18 3rd February 2009
Snow?
In Lisbon? That would be a nice!
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 19:44 3rd February 2009
We got a nice amount. Still not enough, but much more than we have had in previous years. To get an idea, here are some photos that I took at 2:30am on Monday:

http://stevecoates.net/snow/SNOW2.jpg
http://stevecoates.net/snow/SNOW3.jpg

And here is the same place on monday evening:
http://stevecoates.net/snow/moresnow.jpg

I went for a walk on monday and took these:
http://stevecoates.net/snow/snow5.jpg - Bawtry Road (dual carriageway)
http://stevecoates.net/snow/woods.jpg - Herringthorpe Woods

Of course, most of the schools and colleges shut early, as did a lot of businesses. My Mum only got back from her skiing holiday on monday and couldn't see what the fuss was about as she has just spent the last week in several feet of snow.

Some of the snow is disappearing now but it will remain icey for a while as here in Rotherham we have lows of -2 for the next few days (source: Met Office).

Luckily transport hasn't been affected too badly here, not like it was in London anyway, but I will definately be walking to college (about 4 miles) just to be on the safe side. I am completely against this idea of everywhere closing and not going anywhere just because of small amounts of snow, and I therefore wouldn't want to risk being late due to snow delaying the busses.

Not that that will make much difference on thrusday anyway as the University and College Lecturers union is on strike on thrusday, meaning that instead of being in college from 9am till 7pm we only have to go in for the first hour (some teachers arn't on strike). On thrusday we are mixed with the people who do the part time version of our course and most of them drive cars from Sheffield, so I would like to see how many of them make it in on time.
[Reply]
Harrison 00:55 4th February 2009
You might be getting a lot of snow on Thursday Steve. Just on the weather they said that more snow will be coming from the north, falling on Scotland on Wednesday, and a different lot of snow will be coming from the south falling on the coast, but by Wednesday these will both be moving in to the middle of the country and converging, producing a double amount of snow. So Yorkshire might be in for a load of snow!

It snowed again here today, but it still looks about the same. The earlier snow melted a bit, but the new slow replenished it. We are however forecast to get more tonight.
[Reply]
Submeg 04:33 4th February 2009
MMM snow. I need to go back to some, good stuff
[Reply]
Buleste 16:03 4th February 2009
According to the local news we (the Staffordshire Moorlands) are expecting 20-30cm of snow tonight so hopefully that'll be the start of a good winter.
[Reply]
Harrison 16:45 4th February 2009
Take some pictures to show us if you get loads of snow. And don't forget to find time to make a nice snowman!
[Reply]
Buleste 16:52 4th February 2009
From what it said on the news the local council :spits: are almost out of grit for the roads so it could be fun for people going to work.

If I can find some kids to cover in snow then I'll take some pictures of the snow kids instead.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4
Up