Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Arise Sir Terry Pratchett
Buleste 12:22 31st December 2008
This is from the paulkidby.com website.
Originally Posted by :

Folks,

There are times when the phrase “Absolutely, totally, gobsmackingly, mindbogglingly amazed” just doesn’t cover it, but I find that in the Queen’s New Year Honours list I am now a Knight, for services to literature. This means that fans, while not calling me Sir, must now refrain from throwing things. Regrettably, no sword is included in the box

What more can a modest Knight say?

Happy New Year, which on Discworld is the Year of the Pensive Hare.

terrysignature-1.jpg

PS - We have had about twenty film crews through the office today and so you should be able to catch some footage on one channel or another.
Congrats to Sir Terry.
[Reply]
Harrison 12:24 31st December 2008
That is great!
[Reply]
Buleste 12:28 31st December 2008
It is although the cynic in me wonders if it's to shut him up going on about the inadequacy of research into Alzhiemers and the need for greater funding. Still it's good to see nerd literature getting recognised at last.
[Reply]
Harrison 12:30 31st December 2008
I think anyone diagnosed with a disease as devastating as Alzheimer's is going to question the funding it receives to research a cure. As with most things in life, you never really even consider it until you are personally effected by it.
[Reply]
Buleste 12:40 31st December 2008
I think he very right to question the funding on all dementia research as it is vastly underfunded worldwide especially when companies who were going bankrupt due to mismanagement are being bailed out by various governments to keep the wealthy party contributors happy. I just hope the government hasn't done this because he's been kicking up a fuss in a bid to quieten him a little. Lets face it they give honours out for cash so why not try honours for silence. Problem is I don't think Sir Terry would ever keep quiet thank the gods.
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 14:12 31st December 2008
I'm not convinced that this is anything to do with his illness.
The list is supposedly drawn up by the Queen, but of course there is now way that it's all done personally.

I would imagine this type of thing to be organised by her personal aides and the civil service.
Neither of which would be too predisposed to keep the government sweet.

So hopefully he got this on merit because his work deserves it.

Well done Sir Terry.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up