Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Amiga cover-disc CD's
loopy 13:53 26th December 2008
Does anyone know how many CU Amiga magazine's super CD-roms were made before they stopped. I have CU CD number 27 which I believe is oct'98?
Also how many Amiga Format CD's were there, I have number 45 nov'99.
Also AmigaActive, I have cover disc 26, how many more were there, does anyone know?
And of course Aminet CD's does anyone know how many were made?
I have CD number 21 oct'97 Would be interested to hear what the count was for all of these and were there other magazine's that had cover CD's then please tell me what they were.
I'd like to know what was out there, can anyone help?.
Maybe we need a data base of Amiga cover disc's in the Wiki for reference?
Loopy.
[Reply]
Graham Humphrey 14:26 26th December 2008
October '98 was the last issue of CU Amiga so there's your answer.

There were 52 Amiga Format CDs, the last one being May 2000.

Again, Amiga Active 26 was the final one.

I think the number of Aminet CDs totalled over 50 but I couldn't be sure.

I'm pretty sure the Amiga Magazine Rack has details on these things, also on the English Amiga Board there's an FTP hosted by Magix and I think lots of cover CDs have been uploaded on there so you may want to have a look.
[Reply]
loopy 12:10 27th December 2008
Thanks @ Graham Humphrey
I found the needed info at amiga magazine rack. thanks again. Interesting site.
loopy
[Reply]
Harrison 12:56 30th December 2008
@Graham (or anyone else)

Does anyone know what the legal standing is regarding cover disks and cover CDs?

I have pretty much all of them, and the CA server has more than enough space to host all of the cover CDs from all releases. So it would be great to be able to do this. But I first need to know what the legal standing is regarding magazine coverdisks.
[Reply]
Graham Humphrey 13:55 30th December 2008
I don't think there'd be that many problems - the only ones I can see is that I think a few of the later AFCDs contain Workbench disks on them so I guess that's a no-no, other than that I think it's pretty safe; a lot of the stuff is PD software and demos anyway, I know quite a few floppies and CDs contain full commercial software too but I doubt they are still being sold or supported by anyone else, if they were I don't think they'd have been stuck to the front of magazines in the first place.
[Reply]
Harrison 15:34 30th December 2008
Except I know that many of the publishers/developers of the software gave the publishing houses of the magazines exclusive publishing rights for their software, so in those cases there could be some issues.

Anyway, I am adding a magazine and book related project to classicamiga in the new year, then we will be able to look into this in more detail.
[Reply]
loopy 22:43 30th December 2008
Hey a wiki section on amiga related cover floppies, cover cd's & Aminet cd's would be a big asset to this site, Harrison. Go for it.
I have some CD's with covers and spines I could scan for you guys but unfortanatly not full sets. (Workin on it.)
Have some 100 CD's available to scan with 18 CU Amiga doubles soon to be offered on amibay but will offer to our members first.
Some CD's I have havent got any back covers so if we have a wiki section we can download needed data to complete our collections.
Do the CD32 Gamer CD's play in a 1200 with a cd rom? as I have some offered to me at a fair price.
loopy.
[Reply]
Harrison 00:24 31st December 2008
CD32 Gamer CD's are accessible by any Amiga with a CD-Rom drive and working CD0: driver. However to run the CD32 Gamer CD's as intended with the boot menu and disc contents you would need to have a CD32 emulator installed such as the IDEFix'97 one.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up