Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4
Thread: Amigas still useable for serious work today?
Harrison 21:49 14th December 2008
That is great to hear that an Amiga store is actually using Amigas for its business.

Great stuff

What about the site though... is it hosted on an Amiga?
[Reply]
amigakit.com 21:52 14th December 2008
No - its a Linux server unfortunately, but it is heavily modified to work with Amiga Ibrowse.
[Reply]
Harrison 22:30 14th December 2008
That is a shame, but we all know that Amigas are not really up to the task of hosting todays websites. At least you are cattering for real Amiga browsers.
[Reply]
amigakit.com 22:39 14th December 2008
We need a lot of bandwidth to cater for all the customers.

However on the backoffice, networked Amigas are great for order processing and printing. We use Wordworth 7, Pagestream 4, IBrowse, Ghostscript 8.6, GS8Viewer for PDFs, EasyNet for networking.
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 12:06 24th December 2008
Originally Posted by Harrison:
That is a shame, but we all know that Amigas are not really up to the task of hosting todays websites. At least you are cattering for real Amiga browsers.
Not up to the task?
There are a couple of sites hosted on speccys and C64s.

Wouldn't want the emergency services to be hosted on those though.

[Reply]
Stephen Coates 14:55 24th December 2008
I used them for some of my GCSE coursework which got printed out on a 9 pin printer, but most of that was draft copies which later got done in MS Word and printed on a laser printer.

Most of the work I do for college is either handwritten or done in MS Word, but I can't see why it couldn't be done on an amiga given a good word processor.

I do sometimes mess around in DPaintIII for drawings.
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 15:06 24th December 2008
Abiword in Cygnix seems pretty good.
Don't know how well it runs on classic hw but will be testing that over the next few days.
[Reply]
Buleste 15:44 24th December 2008
Abiword for Cygnix works just about on Classic HW but it is very slow due to running 2 OS's and then Abiword. A PCI graphics card may help speed it up a little but not enough for it to be better than FW5 or WW7.
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 23:35 24th December 2008
Is that with the new version of Cygnix released a few days ago?
Now called AmiCygnix?
[Reply]
Buleste 11:07 25th December 2008
That was with the older version.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4
Up