Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Sega \ Mega CD
Loftus 12:30 3rd November 2008
The only game i really played seriously on this system was Sonic CD. Were there any other killer games on it!?
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 12:33 3rd November 2008
Have a look at the Wiki site here.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:28 3rd November 2008
I never owned a Megadrive and therefore didn't own a Mega CD addon either (being an Amiga devotee). However since then I've played quite a few Megadrive and MegaCD games via emulation.

Much like the Amiga CD32, the Mega CD saw a lot of direct ports from it's core MegaDrive parent, with the main differences being a better CD soundtrack.

There were some exceptions to this. However the MegaCD was quite late in the life of the Megadrive and the system's capabilities were really starting to show with the MegaCD. Look at the video quality in Nighttrap for example. Not good, especailly when compared alongside the 3D0 original.

Five MegaCD games were also released that required the 32X addon but I'm not sure how good they are as I've not tested them out yet.
[Reply]
Buleste 13:36 3rd November 2008
I played the Star Wars game on the 32X and at the time it was awesome, in some ways better than X-Wing. What you have to remember though is I'm looking back at memories that have been corrupted by years of alcohol abuse so the game may actually be completely pants by today's standard.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:47 3rd November 2008
That often happens with most things from the past though. You have great memories from the time you originally watched something or played a game. But revisiting them now often brings big disappointments or disbelief that you originally liked something so much. Although sprite based games to often fair quite well when replayed compared to 3D games, which date very quickly as 3D technology progresses.
[Reply]
Ghost 23:40 4th November 2008
Originally Posted by Loftus:
The only game i really played seriously on this system was Sonic CD. Were there any other killer games on it!?
Easy, Snatcher
Get it, get it now.
[Reply]
Loftus 13:10 5th November 2008
Originally Posted by Ghost:
Originally Posted by Loftus:
Easy, Snatcher
Get it, get it now.
haha, ok - DONE!
[Reply]
Ghost 23:25 5th November 2008
Heh heh, that is perhaps the only game that is still good even now.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 14:03 6th November 2008
Originally Posted by Ghost:
Heh heh, that is perhaps the only game that is still good even now.
You mean on Sega CD?
[Reply]
slicer1000 11:09 7th November 2008
I own about 40 mega CD games and yes there are some turkeys but the one's which are worth playing are.

Sonic CD
Snatcher (Quite rare now)
Final Fight (best home console port)
Earth Worm Jim SE (The first game with added levels and a CD sound track)
Slipheed
Keio flying squardron
Shining Force CD
Most Core design games are also very good

32X mega CD games have a much improved video image and colour support. Night trap got a normal MCD release and a 32x version. Which is much better
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up