Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread: Fallout 3
Teho 22:00 1st November 2008
Originally Posted by Ghost:
Despite what you think, it is not all hate and bile, some people enjoy some elements but they all agree; this is not Fallout.
I agree. This is Oblivion with a Fallout-mod. I can safely say that after having put quite a few hours into it over the last couple of days. I am still enjoying it immensely, but it's true. The setting is Fallout, but the game mechanics is more Oblivion. They have incorporated elements of Fallout's mechanics but overall it works a lot like Oblivion.

This is what I expected personally, so I'm not really disappointed. It's still a great game, better than Oblivion as far as I'm concerned, and definitely worth playing.
[Reply]
Ghost 06:02 2nd November 2008
Okay, as long as we both understand that this is nothing like the previous Fallouts and the vision of the makers of those games...
Well I guess there is no problem then.

Not that I can change anything about it anyway, to me there is no hope that I will ever see a game like Fallout 1 or 2 ever again.
[Reply]
Harrison 07:28 3rd November 2008
As I've commented before. Fallout 1 and 2, while great games, are now very dated (design and control wise). It is hard to imagine games being made in the same style again. Unless it is a homebrew game.

I also agree that Fallout 3 feels very much like Oblivion, but using the same game engine I was also expecting this so it wasn't a surprise to me at all either. Obviously the combat mechanics are quite different, but the character interaction is very similar, as it most other aspects. It is still a very good game in its own right and I'm enjoying it.
[Reply]
J T 10:04 3rd November 2008
My desire to play this falls as I hear how much of a time-sink this game is. Unfortunately I don't really have tons of time to devote to gaming at the moment, so I'll probably pass on this for a little while and go for something that offers a short but intense thrill. Shame though, as a post-apocalyptic environment is always an appealing setting for stories/games for me.
[Reply]
Submeg 10:32 3rd November 2008
Hmm, I miss the good ol fallout. Maybe get it out and play it? Playing duke nukem atm!
[Reply]
Harrison 13:18 3rd November 2008
With Fallout 3 you don't have to spend lots of time exploring the whole game and completing everything. You can plow you way through the main story quite quickly if you wished. So it really can be as short or as long as you wish. Obviously, choosing the all guns blazing shoot 'em up style of play will mean you miss out on a lot of the game's content. But you would get to play through and see the main story. You could then come back later when you have more time and play the game differently.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 13:59 3rd November 2008
I didn't get it yet, but Play.com sent it out last Thursday
[Reply]
Harrison 14:41 3rd November 2008
I got Fallout 3 a couple of days before release!
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 14:51 3rd November 2008
Originally Posted by Harrison:
I got Fallout 3 a couple of days before release!
Of course, but the PC version.
[Reply]
Ghost 23:39 4th November 2008
Harrison, no more "Turn Based and Isometric are old and were the best they could do at the time shit" please, I have that enough on NMA from 15 year olds who think that Halo is the best game ever.

Van Buren showed that the system could go along with the times and recreated the Fallout universe in 3D, the First Person was implemented because Bethesda doesn't know anything else, plus they want to attract people who just want to shoot or slash things, not have meaningful conversations or difficult decision making quests.

(no, Megaton does not fit the last. To blow up or not to blow up, seriously, this is a moral decision?)
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5 6
Up