Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: Old memories
Submeg 22:01 30th January 2007
Lol.....and his answer was?
[Reply]
Teho 17:26 1st February 2007
I actually use Altavista as my main search engine still. I did use Google for quite some time, because the embedded search in Opera defaulted to it. But you can set it up however you want and I recently went through the list and redefined which engines should be used for what, and set it up to use Altavista again. Just for a change from Google more than preference, really.
[Reply]
Puni/Void 21:16 27th February 2009
How's Altavista working out for you, Teho? Are you still using it, or have you changed to Google or Cuil or something else? I'm still using Google, so no changes here.
[Reply]
Harrison 23:19 27th February 2009
I have actually been using Yahoo! a bit recently because I have found it can sometimes find things that Google doesn't. Yahoo! is an old school search engine that indexes things in a directory fashion. Whereas Google works based on association between data on a site and links point to and away from it, and I sometimes find the search results can be a bit obscure in Google because of this.
[Reply]
Teho 13:31 28th February 2009
Yes I'm still using Altavista and am perfectly happy with it. There are occasions when something is hard to find that I also try searching with Google, but it never does any better.

Actually I often find that looking something up on Wikipedia and following the links from there is also very effective.
[Reply]
Harrison 17:14 1st March 2009
Wikipedia is definitely very good for searching for something. I also use that a lot, plus you can really explore Wikipedia and end up in a completely different subject to the one you started with, with some great pages to read.
[Reply]
Puni/Void 12:19 3rd March 2009
Wikipedia is a great tool for sure.

Guess the times of having a huge stack of gigantic encyclopedias on the shelves are fading away. It takes a lot more effort to look something up in the books than on the Internet.

Wonder what those encyclopedia salesmen are doing these days.

As for search-engines. Anyone using Cuil, or perhaps just tried it?
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 13:33 3rd March 2009
I have been using books much more this last year, especially from the college library and I joined the public library as well recently. Plenty of useful information to be found in those.

I have never really used an encyclopedia though, other than my Britanica 98 CD and Microsoft Encarta 98 back when I didn't really use the internet much.

I also find Wikipedia very useful. I agree with what some people say about how you should always try and back it up with other sites and not use it on its own. It is however a good place to start looking for something and contains lots of information.
[Reply]
J T 22:06 3rd March 2009
Originally Posted by Stephen Coates:
I also find Wikipedia very useful. I agree with what some people say about how you should always try and back it up with other sites and not use it on its own. It is however a good place to start looking for something and contains lots of information.
Spot on there, Steve. It is quite often the first place I go to look something up or refresh my memory - and then I'll move on to something more reliable if I need to. It really is a very useful tool.

Some of the things I used to find really useful with encarta were the animations/videos with voice over. It's amazing how a decent picture or clip can help you to understand complex machinery - like internal combustion engines for example.
[Reply]
Teho 14:41 4th March 2009
Wikipedia vs proper encyclopedias.. They both have their strength and weaknesses. Yes, proper encyclopedias may have the most reliable information, but you would never f. ex. find a detailed article about lighting farts on fire in one.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up