Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: SEGA returning to the hardware market?
Harrison 08:36 7th October 2008
In the last couple of days there have been news items floating around saying that SEGA are poised to reenter the hardware market in 2009 with a portable PSP beater called SEGA Vision.

However after some digging the truth was revealed. The SEGA vision is actually just another portable multimedia system much like the ones from iRiver and the like.

And it isn't even going to be SEGA making or selling this unit. Some Chinese company is making this portable multimedia player and SEGA have just given them permission to brand it with their logo.

Seems like a bit of a strange move to me. What is the point or reasoning behind Sega's involvement in such a device? I know the Chinese market is the current one everyone is looking at because it is the one true growing economy and a new technilogical superpower in the making. Maybe Sega are viewing this as the first steps into the Chinese market? Who knows. Time will tell. Maybe they could sell the system specs for their old systems to Chinese companies and let them manufacture them again? Now that would be cool.

Anyway, if you want to read some more about the SEGA Vision then have a look here.
[Reply]
J T 15:40 7th October 2008
It could build the Sega brand in China, and lower it elsewhere. Or ruin it everywhere. Either way, just skimming the article I'm not impressed.

Any official word from Sega themselves?
[Reply]
Harrison 15:57 7th October 2008
Sega USA were asked about this and their reply is as follows:

"The Sega Vision is a real device", a spokesperson said, "But it is not intended as a re-entry to the gaming hardware market or a rival to Sony or Nintendo's systems."

"Sega is committed to remaining a software third party in the videogames industry, but also has several non-games products in the market. The Vision is primarily an MP4 video player with some basic games functionality, and not a new handheld gaming machine."

The Sega Vision is in fact a Chinese made iPod style PMP with mobile phone style java game functionality.

[Reply]
J T 16:03 7th October 2008
Sounds crap.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up