Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Had to throw a lot of stuff away today
Ghost 17:44 28th September 2008
Hello all,

Today I picked up the last of my things at the address where I had been staying for several years after I was forced to leave my home in 2004.
These were all things that I needed to pick up before the bank repossessed the house regarding non payments of the mortgage, not that it was possible as we barely had anything to live off.

Unfortunate not everything could come to my apartment, it simply isn't big enough so I had to make some conscious decisions on what to take with me and what had to go.

Toys such as cars and transformers don't take that much space so that could come but piles of monthly comic books which I had picked up during sales and piles of computer and video game magazines which I had gathered over the years such as Mean Machine Sega, NMS, some Gamemaster really had to go.
I only took one pile of magazines of CVG, which I started my general game interest with, and a pile of a now defunct Dutch game magazine with me because of sentimental reasons.

I also had to throw away some Transformer comics that had become sticky and therefore useless. A shame

Anyone else here who also had to throw away stuff with memories attached to them when they had to move?
[Reply]
Buleste 18:12 28th September 2008
Originally Posted by Ghost:
Anyone else here who also had to throw away stuff with memories attached to them when they had to move?
The only thing I've ever deliberately gotten rid of during a move was a girlfriend although i have lost the decryption wheel to Premier Manager 2 in one move which has been far more painful than getting rid of the cancerous lump that was my girlfriend (She was born under the star sign Cancer, and was over weight so it is perfectly fair to call her a cancerous lump) as I can't play PM2 any more.
[Reply]
Zetr0 18:16 28th September 2008
@Ghost,

my deepest sympathies my friend, having moved arround a lot as kids in my family, we lost so much stuff that would now be considered priceless, like issue one to 100 of transformers comics and many specials.

I lost all my transformers, which at the time would of been atleast £100 worth, not to mention the railway track and scalelectrix that was also lost when my parents split and I was shuffled off to my dads.

I lost my first computer that I built ZX80 kit built computer as well as all the add ons, and my c64 + games, and my spectrum 48k and 48k+...

yeah.... lost a bit of fond memories... perhaps its no surprising my wife calls me a pcak rat as i find it hard to throw things away lol!!!
[Reply]
Buleste 18:28 28th September 2008
I forgot to say sorry about your troubles whilst I was making those glib remarks.
[Reply]
Ghost 19:01 28th September 2008
Heh heh, well you still made me snicker Buleste.

Hi Zetr0, a shame when you loose all that stuff like the toys and the comic books, unfortunate I also had to decide for myself what I really wanted to keep and what had to go.
I would have liked to take all those PC game magazines with me, or the Sega ones or the Nintendo ones... but there simply isn't enough room.

Plus all these magazines are horribly out of date, some as old as eighteen years now.
Gamers of today would probably laugh when they look through them and see what was considered 'bad ass' around that time.

The times, they are changing.

Well I don't consider myself an old crust yet, and go along as good as possible but sometimes I do miss the feeling of way back then, everything still so new, so much to look forwards too.

Its going to be extra difficult if I one day have to get rid of the games I have collected over the years.
[Reply]
Buleste 19:24 28th September 2008
Originally Posted by Ghost:
Heh heh, well you still made me snicker Buleste.
Glad to hear it. If I can make you smile in what must be a truly depressing time then my job is done.
[Reply]
Bloodwych 10:58 29th September 2008
Sad times Ghost, but we have to make these sacrifices now and again. I've got loads of stuff stored at my parents, but they are moving to a small apartment soon so I may be in the same boat. I can already picture the horror of the looming skip parked outside, waiting to gobble up all my treasured hoard.

I don't want to chuck stuff, I'll try and find homes for them first, but I realize how inconvenient hoarding is. Nothing lasts forever and sometimes we just have to go with the idea that an item has had its day and it's time to move on.

Time is a great heeler.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:33 29th September 2008
This is exactly what I'm facing at the moment. Going through all my old stuff and trying to work out what I really have to keep, and what I really should find a new home for. We all horde stuff for sentimental reasons and when you move you know you have to have a sort out and clear out the unused stuff, but often sentiment easily gets in the way of your ability to just let go of the past. Can be hard.

But as some of you have said, we all only have so much space and room to store stuff. And hording stuff we will never use again is a bit pointless.

@Ghost. It was good that you managed to have the opportunity to go through everything before the house was repossessed. I hope in addition to your own stuff from your childhood, I hope you also have some items to remember the goods times with your mum.
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 13:09 30th September 2008
Took my C64 when I moved out of the family home but my dad had already binned the power supply and some games before I could collect.

@Ghost

Hope things pick up for you in your new home.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:16 30th September 2008
I still never get why so many people have this habit of throwing things like that away. And why just the PSU and not the whole system? Mad. And even worse when the stuff isn't even theirs. I always remember mum telling me that when she got married and left home her mum binned all her artwork without telling her, and she went to collect it and it was all gone. Not nice at all!

I lent a printer to a charity a couple of years ago because their printer had died. They used it for a couple of months before getting a grant to buy a new one. But when I went to collect it the original box I had lent it to them in was missing, and the PSU was missing too. And the people running the group were not bothered at all that the PSU was missing (making the printer useless). That really annoyed me and made me stop wanting to lend things any more.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up