Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: How much did you pay...
Cortona 20:05 19th September 2008
Like Sheringan, I bought a 512K RAM expansion for my A500 in early '89 and it cost about £90. (There was a RAM chip shortage in the late '80s, I think.)

I got my external floppy at the Commodore show in Hammersmith, November '89 also for about £90. (How can I remember all these useless details of my life and yet forget where I put my car keys five minutes ago!?) (I have actually still got a Commodore mug I bought there, although the red bit of the C= logo has faded to nothing after all these years. My wife thinks I'm very sad for keeping it...)

Anyway, floppies... Verbatim DS/DD jobbies were £1.35 for one, obviously cheaper by the multiple of 10. Or you could get no-name unbranded disks for about 80pence each.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 15:16 23rd September 2008
The first 5¼ disks by Elephant cost around 8£ at the time (1 disk!), which was enormous.
[Reply]
Buleste 15:20 23rd September 2008
Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner:
The first 5¼ disks by Elephant cost around 8£ at the time (1 disk!), which was enormous.
If they were by Whale then they'd be cost even more.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 15:23 23rd September 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_Memory_Systems
[Reply]
toomanymikes 12:56 24th September 2008
I remember paying (actually my dad paying) about £100 for the 512k upgrade for the A500. I remember one of the main reasons I wanted it was so that I could play Streetfighter which I had bought in WHSmith in Inverness on a family holiday for £10. What a dissapointment and waste of £10 that was!
[Reply]
Buleste 13:02 24th September 2008
Originally Posted by toomanymikes:
I remember paying (actually my dad paying) about £100 for the 512k upgrade for the A500. I remember one of the main reasons I wanted it was so that I could play Streetfighter which I had bought in WHSmith in Inverness on a family holiday for £10. What a dissapointment and waste of £10 that was!
Coud've been worse... You could've bought a 1200 with hard drive and a memory expansion to play Rise Of the Robots. It would have made you suicidal.
[Reply]
Harrison 14:02 24th September 2008
That explains Teho's outlook on life!
[Reply]
Teho 14:15 24th September 2008
I was going to say no no, it doesn't take that much. You only need to have bought just the game.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up