Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: Having a clear out
Submeg 22:00 13th September 2008
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Or Submeg! I hear such thinks are quite popular down there.
You would be surprised, there isnt many of those down here...mind you it's not like I go looking! Lol. I feel sorry for you man, losing all your stuff! A sad day indeed. Lucky for me, the only thing I have is cds and my gf loves cds so I don't think I would have to stop! lol
[Reply]
Harrison 13:12 15th September 2008
Well... Im' not actually losing all my stuff. It's mostly stuff I've been hording for years (like we all do) and this is a good excuse to finally declutter and get rid of all the old junk.

I've decided that apart from the video games and Star Wars items, if I've not used something for 2 years than I'm not likely to use it again any time soon so it can go!
[Reply]
J T 15:49 15th September 2008
What about giving it to charity shop(s)? I know a lot don't like to take electronics, but there are some. I gave a load of hi-fi equipment to a charity shop a while ago (CD player, amp, minidisc deck, 2 floorstanders and 2 bookshelf speakers). I kept the bad-boy subwoofer though

If you think you are bad, my father in law's loft is a JOKE. There's tons of old shit in there from where he had some Sony centres (hi-8 camcorders, 8 tracks, betamax, loads of tape walkmen and crusty rubbish). I know that one day I'll be the one that has to go through all of that
[Reply]
Harrison 15:58 15th September 2008
Betamax recorders are actually quite sort after these days. There is quite a lot of underground enthusiasts who still use and want them. Probably worth quite a bit these days if sold through the enthusiasts groups.

As for filled up lofts. You need to see my parents loft. I've still been using it to store the bulk of my Star Wars collection and that is taking out about a third of the whole loft space! Quite a large collection. Plus a large percentage of my Amiga magazine collection is there too. I really need to spend a few days there going through it all before my dad finally gets fed up and I discover he has skipped the lot!

Why don't they build houses with cellars any more? It would solve all such problems. Us men could horde what we like down there and if we run out of room we could just dig down a bit further!

I've actually managed to get rid of my Snooker table now via Freecycle, and someone is interested in the huge 21" monitor, so that might be going this week too.
[Reply]
Sharingan 16:46 15th September 2008
I had a 21 inch (CRT) monitor too. Those things are frickin' heavy! Still outperformed LCDs, though.

Me, I can't get myself to get rid of old stuff. I'm too sentimental to part with the crap I grew up with
[Reply]
Harrison 22:41 15th September 2008
Yep! Bloody heavy! I remember when I originally got the monitor and how hard to was to carry up the stairs. Weights about 32KG I think! And it is huge! The tube is 2' deep.

It is definitely very hard to part with stuff from your past. I try to hold on to things as much as I can, but sometimes they do just have to go. And the thing is that once it is gone I find I don't really miss, or remember most of it, so why did I keep it all so long.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 13:42 16th September 2008
I hurt my back a little bit carrying my 21" monitor up the stairs. Didn't hurt anywhere near as much as my arms did though after carrying a 20kg Power Macintosh about half a mile. My arms hurt for about 4 days after that.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:51 16th September 2008
I've always said Macs make good door stops!
[Reply]
Buleste 15:21 16th September 2008
I would've thought they make good Chocks for Jumbo Jets myself.
[Reply]
Harrison 15:49 16th September 2008
Or anchors for oil tankers!
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up