Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Vega Strike
Buleste 10:47 10th September 2008
I don't know if any ones heard of this free open source game but Vega Strike is in a similar vein to Elite, Frontier and Privateer. There seems to be many Mods and the game engine is still in development. I haven't tried it yet but it can be found here.
[Reply]
Harrison 11:07 10th September 2008
I've heard of it, but have also no tried it yet. It is great to see it is still in development and looking good. Downloading it now as I just spotted the Vega Trek mod!!! Plus I can never resist a space game when someone mentions one.
[Reply]
Buleste 11:51 10th September 2008
Found this avatar on the forum and had to laugh

You can get version 3.5PreR of VegaTrek here and a patch to update it to 3.6 here.

I've also found a link for a complete package here it's nearly 500MB so i assume it include the the game files as well.
[Reply]
Harrison 11:54 10th September 2008
I've seen that little Data animation quite a few times and it still makes me laugh.
[Reply]
Buleste 15:25 10th September 2008
The link with the complete package is a ronseal. I do need to have a look at the controls though now.
[Reply]
Harrison 15:36 10th September 2008
I had a quick play around with the main Vega Strike game and it seems quite nice. The docked interface to navigate around the space station is a bit clunky and just using a menu system would have been easier. Definitely not on a par with something like EVE or X3, but should work OK. Just a bit long winded and slow to navigate. Ship control via mouse seemed fine. I also now need to look up the rest of the game's controls to learn how to do everything else. Worked out the auto pilot, weapons firing and a few other bits myself though.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up